(The following procedures do not apply to private parties held in RIT operated apartments.)
- Student sponsored events where alcoholic beverages are to be served require that an event registration form be initiated and approved. This process takes a minimum of ten (10) business days prior to the event. Such events can be arranged on a space-available basis. Inquiries regarding the availability of space/rooms for events where alcohol is permitted can be obtained at the Center for Campus Life, 2125 Student Alumni Union.
- Alcohol can be provided, possessed or consumed by students only in institutionally designated spaces on the RIT campus. RIT Food Service or an approved third-party vendor must dispense all alcohol at these parties/events. Arrangements for private parties where alcoholic beverages are served can be made through the Center for Campus Life in the Student Alumni Union. Only individuals who are at least 21 years of age may register an event where alcoholic beverages are to be served.
- Public Safety will determine the security staffing levels for each event where alcoholic beverages are to be served. The required number of officers must be present for the duration of the event. The costs of these officers will be billed directly to the sponsoring/host organization. Public Safety will discuss requirements for security with the sponsoring individuals or groups prior to the event.
- The guests at all privately sponsored parties where alcoholic beverages are to be served must be invited by direct personal invitation only. General "come all" posters, flyers, or mass electronic invitations will not be permitted for events designated as private parties. Only the RITskeller or an institutionally designated space can be used for a community-wide event where alcoholic beverages are to be served to students or student groups.
- When alcoholic beverages are served at student sponsored parties/events, nonalcoholic beverages and food must also be served. Guidelines may be obtained at the Center for Campus Life.
- Individuals/officers of the student organization sponsoring the event will be held responsible for the behavior of guests. An officer of the organization must be present for the duration of the event. They will also be responsible for assuring that only individuals who are at least 21 years of age are consuming alcohol during the party/event.
- Student organizers of a party/event should ensure that appropriate transportation is available for individuals who have been consuming alcohol during the party. They should ensure that individuals who have been drinking do not drive while intoxicated.
Approved by Institute Council - 2/11/98
RIT reserves the right to adjust the Event Registration Procedure during the course of the school year to accommodate logistical factors regarding events (i.e. building hours). Questions regarding these changes can be forwarded to the Director of the Center for Campus Life, located on the Mezzanine level of the RITreat Lounge, located in the Student Alumni Building (Building 4).