Alcohol and Other Drug Emergencies
What should I do if a friend had too much to drink or may have overdosed on drugs?
Call 911. Alcohol poisoning and drug overdoses can kill. If a friend has been drinking, especially a large amount over a short period of time, has hurt him or herself while drinking or has been taking drugs, look for these signs of possible alcohol poisoning/drug overdose:
- Confusion, inability to stay awake or respond to shouting and shaking
- Changes in behavior
- Pale, cold or bluish skin
- Passing out
- Irregular or slow breathing
Don't leave him or her to "sleep it off"
- Call 911 or Public Safety (585) 475-3333 immediately-you could save a life
- Try to wake the person
- Stay with the person-don’t leave him or her alone
- Try to roll the person onto his or her side-don’t leave the person lying on his/her back—he/she could vomit and choke