What do I do if I have been sexually assaulted?
- Go immediately to a safe place and seek the support of someone you trust.
- Do not change clothes, shower, bathe or douche or in any way alter or dispose of any potential evidence.
- Seek medical care at a hospital emergency department.
- Whether or not you choose to report the assault, it is recommended that you get medical care as soon as possible. This care may include prevention of sexually transmitted infections, HIV and pregnancy (emergency contraception) as well as screening to detect the presence of date rape drugs such as Rohypnol. Evidence collection ("rape kit") can be obtained up to 96 hours after the incident.
Use the following resources to access care or information:
- Public Safety:
Residence Halls - 333 (v) or 5-6654 (TTY)
On campus apartments: 475-3333 or 475-6654 (TTY)
Public Safety may send an ambulance to your location for assessment, treatment and/or transport to a local emergency department for additional care. (ambulance information)
- Student Health Center:
475-2255 or 475-5515 (TTY)
Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
SHC will assist with transportation arrangements for hospital services during regular business hours.
- Rape Crisis/Safe Center:
Hotline 546-2777 or 546-7582 (TTY)
- RIT CARES Team (Campus Advocacy Response and Support) (http://www.rit.edu/~306www/womens/cares_about.php)
Consider reporting the assault. It is your decision whether or not to report the assault. A trained counselor or advocate can help you explore options and work with law enforcement if you choose.
What do I do if it has been more than 96 hours after the sexual assault?
- You can still get help. Seek follow up medical care. Call for an appointment at SHC for sexually transmitted infection, HIV and pregnancy testing.
- Get help with the emotional and psychological impact from the assault.
In addition to support services offered at SHC, on-campus resources such as Counseling Center 5-2261 or 5-6897 (TTY) and Women's Center 5-7464 (V/TTY) are available. Off campus resources include Rape Crisis/Safe Center: Hotline 546-2777 or 546-7582 (TTY) or website http://www.pprsr.org/rapecrisis/.
- Remember, it is never too late to call for help.