Student Health Center

Sexual Assault

What do I do if I have been sexually assaulted?

  • Go immediately to a safe place and seek the support of someone you trust.
  • Call 911 or Public Safety (585) 475-3333
  • Do not change clothes, shower, bathe or douche or in any way alter or dispose of any potential evidence.
  • Seek medical care at a hospital emergency department.
  • Whether or not you choose to report the assault, it is recommended that you get medical care as soon as possible. This care may include:
    • Prevention of sexually transmitted infections HIV and pregnancy
    • Screening to detect the presence of date rape drugs such as Rohypnol.
    • Evidence collection ("rape kit") can be obtained up to 96 hours after the incident.

Use the following resources to access care or information:

  • Public Safety
    Call (585) 475-3333 or Text (585) 205-8333
    AIM: RITPublicSafety

    Public Safety may send an ambulance to your location for assessment, treatment and/or transport to a local emergency department for additional care.
  • Student Health Center
    (585) 475-2255 (after hours call the same number and press zero to be connected with a nurse on call)
    Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
    Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Monroe County Rape Crisis/Safe Center
    Hotline (585) 546-2777
  • RIT CARES Team (Campus Advocacy Response and Support)
    (585) 475-7464
    To report an incident: call or text (585) 295-3533

Consider reporting the assault. It is your decision whether or not to report the assault. A trained counselor or advocate can help you explore options and work with law enforcement if you choose.

What do I do if it has been more than 96 hours after the sexual assault?

  • You can still get help.
  • Seek follow up medical care. Call for an appointment at SHC (585) 475-2255 for sexually transmitted infection testing, HIV testing and pregnancy testing.
  • Get help with the emotional and psychological impact from the assault.

In addition to support services offered at SHC, on-campus resources include:

  • Counseling Center (585) 475-2261
  • Center for Women and Gender (585) 475-7464

Off campus resources include:

Remember, it is never too late to call for help.


One Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623-5603
Questions or comments? Send us feedback. Telephone: 585-475-2411