What do I do if I have been sexually assaulted?
- Go immediately to a safe place and seek the support of someone you trust.
- Call 911 or Public Safety (585) 475-3333
- Do not change clothes, shower, bathe or douche or in any way alter or dispose of any potential evidence.
- Seek medical care at a hospital emergency department.
- Whether or not you choose to report the assault, it is recommended that you get medical care as soon as possible. This care may include:
- Prevention of sexually transmitted infections HIV and pregnancy
- Screening to detect the presence of date rape drugs such as Rohypnol.
- Evidence collection ("rape kit") can be obtained up to 96 hours after the incident.
Use the following resources to access care or information:
- Public Safety
Call (585) 475-3333 or Text (585) 205-8333
Public Safety may send an ambulance to your location for assessment, treatment and/or transport to a local emergency department for additional care.
- Student Health Center
(585) 475-2255 (after hours call the same number and press zero to be connected with a nurse on call)
Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Monroe County Rape Crisis/Safe Center
Hotline (585) 546-2777
- RIT CARES Team (Campus Advocacy Response and Support)
To report an incident: call or text (585) 295-3533
Consider reporting the assault. It is your decision whether or not to report the assault. A trained counselor or advocate can help you explore options and work with law enforcement if you choose.
What do I do if it has been more than 96 hours after the sexual assault?
- You can still get help.
- Seek follow up medical care. Call for an appointment at SHC (585) 475-2255 for sexually transmitted infection testing, HIV testing and pregnancy testing.
- Get help with the emotional and psychological impact from the assault.
In addition to support services offered at SHC, on-campus resources include:
- Counseling Center (585) 475-2261
- Center for Women and Gender (585) 475-7464
Off campus resources include:
- Rape Crisis/Safe Center: Hotline (585) 546-2777
- Planned Parenthood
Remember, it is never too late to call for help.