Does the Student Health Center
offer on-site laboratory testing?
Yes, we offer on-site lab tests such as:
- Rapid throat cultures
- Rapid mono tests
- Urine pregnancy tests
- Rapid HIV Antibody
There is a nominal charge due at the time of service for some lab tests done on-site. All other laboratory specimens are sent out to a commercial lab and you or your insurance company will be billed.
If my doctor at home
wants me to have a blood test, can this be done at the SHC?
- Obtain a written request from your health care provider specifying the test name(s) and including the relevant diagnosis code(s).
- Bring the request to the SHC or have the provider fax it to us at (585) 475-7788.
- Make an appointment to review the requested test(s) with a SHC provider.
- Sign a Release of Information Form to allow the SHC to forward the results to your provider.
- The SHC provider will notify you and your provider of the test results when they are available.
How am I notified of test results?
During the time of your visit, the medical provider will let you know approximately when your results should be available.
The SHC does not send confidential medical information such as test results via regular e-mail. Test results are communicated to students by:
- Follow-up appointment to review results in-person.
- Secure message using the SHC Secure Patient Portal. You will receive a regular e-mail stating you have a message from the SHC. The e-mail will include a link to the portal. Clicking on the link will open a web browser and prompt you to enter your RIT username and password. You will then be able to review the secure message. If you have questions, you may reply to the message or contact the provider by phone.
it okay for me to eat and/or drink before I have a blood test?
Some tests require that you fast (not eat/drink for a certain number of hours) before getting your blood drawn. For example, a cholesterol test requires a 12-hour fast. If you are scheduled to have a blood test please ask us ahead of time if you need to fast.
Student Health Center do x-rays?
We do not offer x-ray or other radiology services on campus. If the medical provider determines that an x-ray or other imaging test is necessary, you will be referred to a radiology facility in the community.