Smoking CessationYou are being targeted by the Tobacco Industry
- “Young adult smokers are the only source of replacement smokers…If younger adults turn away from smoking, the industry must decline, just as a population which does not give birth will eventually dwindle.” February 29, 1984 RJ Reynolds document, “Young Adult Smokers: Strategies & Opportunities”
- “We don’t smoke the s---, we just sell it. We reserve that for the young, the poor and the stupid” RJ Reynolds’ executive
- The tobacco industry targets young women, in particular, by portraying smokers as healthy, beautiful and thin.
- Tobacco is more addictive than cocaine, alcohol or heroin.
- Every 10 seconds someone dies from tobacco use (World Health Organization
- If you start to smoke in your teens, you will die 20-25 years sooner than non-smokers.
- Smoking is the chief avoidable cause of death in our society today.
- Concern about gaining weight is a barrier for many women trying to quit smoking. Quitters who use nicotine replacement products or medicines such as Zyban or Chantix are less likely to gain weight than those who don't.
- Smoking is a risk factor for impotence and cervical cancer. It can also cause wrinkles, bad breath and smelly clothes.
- Smoking is expensive. Click here to figure out just how much: http://www.tobaccofreeu.org/calculator/index.asp
BUT - 1.2 million smokers quit each year.
is just down the Quarter Mile…
The Student Health Center would love to help you quit.