Gray Matter is a monthly discussion series at RIT designed to promote critical exploration of provocative topics related to higher education and the RIT campus community. Previous discussion topics have addressed gender, diversity, sustainability and religion to name a few. More
Conable Film Series
The Conable Endowment in International Studies honors the Cornell Alumnus, and former Rochester-area politician and diplomat, Barber B. Conable, Jr., who served in the U.S. House of Representatives (1964-1984) and as president of the World Bank (1986-1991). http://www.rit.edu/cla/sociology/international/conable.html
Hale Ethics Series
The aim of this series is to aims to bring an "eclectic mix" of speakers, whose expertise spans ethical questions that are practical, scholarly, or capture public interest. A special Global Warming series was held during the spring 2012 quarter. More
As the nation explores ways to achieve energy independence while reducing our greenhouse gas emissions, we are faced with the reality that no form of energy offers a perfect solution. With every option there are tradeoffs that must be considered. In the pursuit of a more sustainable energy future, we must fully understand the options so that wise - and potentially difficult - decisions can be made. For this reason it is more important than ever that academic institutions provide a platform for civilized examination of these complex issues.
Hydrofracking (Hydraulic Fracturing) Panel Discussion
During the fall 2011 quarter, the Institute hosted a panel discussion on hydrofracking. It was standing room only as more than 100 people turned out to learn more about the subject and issues as they relate to New York State. Speaker line up and topics:
- Hydrofracking 101 - Josh Goldowitz, Environmental Sustainability Health & Safety, RIT
- Water and Hydrofracking - Gretchen Wainwright, Environmental Sustainability Health & Safety, RIT
- Economics of Hydrofracking - Pete Soscia, Associate Dean of Instruction, Genesee Community College
- Implications for land use and planning - Dr. Nancy Becerra-Cordoba, Public Policy Department RIT
- Regulating Hydrofracking in NYS - Libby Ford, Senior Environmental Health Engineer, Nixon Peabody
For information about Hyrofracking and health issues check out Tompkins County Cooperative Extension's website.