RIT understands that social media is critical to communicating with and connecting to its various stakeholders. Social media should be used to disseminate important news and information, listen to feedback and answer questions from our community as well as the general public. Social amplification helps tell the RIT story!
RIT’s Social Media Task Force has developed these guidelines to properly portray, promote and protect the reputation of the university. The guidelines have been created to help develop strategies for RIT social media, as well as create campus-wide partnerships among those who oversee each social media presence. Following these guidelines will help ensure consistent messaging and branding, and offer assistance on how to monitor and maintain engagement with social media.
These guidelines will provide information for RIT community members who are authorized to speak on behalf of the University through social media. Social media forums includes blogs, wikis, social networks (e.g., Facebook, Twitter,
YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.) as well as future networks that expand our opportunities to communicate with stakeholders. Community members may find that many of these guidelines can be helpful when thinking about personal social media accounts. However, these guidelines are not intended to govern or restrict personal presence on the Web.
It is also important to note that this will be a living document, which will reflect RIT’s current needs and adjust to future changes in social media. The Social Media Task Force will review the document on a regular basis (annual review at a minimum).
Please note that the following guidelines do not supplant any policies currently enforced by RIT. These policies include:
- RIT Policies and Procedures: http://www.rit.edu/fa/legalaffairs/content/policies-procedures
- RIT Code of Conduct for Computer and Network Use: http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/sectionC/C82.html
- Compliance Policy and Code of Ethical Conduct: http://www.rit.edu/~w-policy/sectionC/C0.html
- Accessibility Guidelines: http://www.rit.edu/webdev/coding-and-accessibility-guidelines
- To learn more, visit the RIT Policy Website: http://www.rit.edu/~w-policy/