RIT features some of the finest recreational facilities at the college level today including the Gordon Field House and Activities Center, the Hale- Andrews Student Life Center, the Judson/Hale Aquatics Center, the Wiedman Fitness Center and the Red Barn Climbing gym. Our dedicated and knowledgeable staff provides friendly customer service through innovative programming, quality equipment and services. Our Intramural program has a diverse and extensive selection of over 17 sports with over 220 teams participating every quarter. The Center plays a major role in the Student Affairs Wellness Initiative, which promotes the development of an active, healthy, balanced and productive student lifestyle. We encourage everyone to take advantage of the unlimited recreational opportunities offered by our Center and establish a habit of lifetime fitness.
Fast Facts 2015-2016
- 284 student employees
- 580,420 SLC/Field House participations
- 13,640 unique student participants
- 1,893 unique faculty/staff participants
- 271,030 fitness center participations
- 35,546 aquatic center participations
- Over 32,000 Red Barn Climbing participations
- 30,863 intramural participations (2,916 unique participants)
- 2,533 intramural games
- 395 alumni memberships
- 1,119 guest passes
The Center for Recreational Sports will play a major role in assisting the Division of Student Affairs to develop the nation’s most engaged campus community through meaningful traditional and non-traditional recreational activities that integrate body, mind and spiRIT.
The Center for Recreational Sports strives to meet the ever-changing needs and interests of RIT students and the RIT community by providing innovative recreational programs, services and facilities that are comprehensive, inclusive and of the highest quality. As an integral component of Student Wellness, the center promotes and develops healthy lifestyles, social interaction, leadership skills, sportsmanship and lifetime leisure activities, thus enhancing the quality of life of each individual through the balance of work and play.
- Promote a culture of healthy lifestyles for the campus community through the delivery of quality recreational equipment, facilities, programs and services.
- Provide a highly qualified and trained staff to effectively manage recreational facilities to ensure a safe and productive environment for all participants through attention to details and effective utilization of resources.
- Provide punctual, innovative and quality customer service to internal and external clientele to earn their confidence and loyalty.
- Foster relationships and serve as ambassadors of the Division of Student Affairs by partnering with students and other campus departments and organizations to develop, administer and support campus wide wellness initiatives and programs.
- Provide participants and student employees’ opportunities for holistic learning, self-discovery, social interaction and leadership skill development through our programs and services.
- Utilize social media and paperless initiatives to distribute information, promote the recreation, interactive adventures and intramural programs and respond to the ever changing interests and needs of our customers.
- Provide welcoming and accessible environments and programs for a diverse campus community.
- Recruit and encourage students who do not currently participate in recreation activities to become active through innovative marketing strategies.