Patricia Durr, Associate Professor, Dept. of Cultural and Creative Studies
If you are a Deaf Artist and would like your work to be included in this site or have any questions, please contact Patti Durr at email@example.com.
Special thanks to all the artists and publishers who have agreed to have their work featured in this website.
Website designed by:
Cathy Clarke, Simon Ting, and Marie Buckley, NTID Educational Design Resources
Copyright and Resource Person:
Joan Naturale, RIT Wallace Memorial Library
Contributor and Advisor:
Paula Grcevic, NTID Art and Computer Design Dept.
Criteria for Selection to the RIT Deaf Artist Website:
This website will be selecting works of art based on Donna Reid’s criteria, which is published in her book, Thinking and Writing about Art: (works must meet a minimum of 5 out of the 7 below)
- catch the viewer’s attention
- are innovative, original or creative
- give evidence of technical skill
- cause an emotional response: impact the viewer
- have a message, something significant to say
- show effective use of the medium
- change our view of the world
In addition, for acceptance into this website: (these requirements must be met)
- the artist must be Deaf, hard of hearing, or late deaf. If the artist is hearing, her/his work but have Deaf subject matter
- their work must have received some professional recognition of a non-student nature (i.e. awards, gallery shows, exhibitions, been published in notable magazines, etc).
- artworks need to be accessible for viewing
- artists in the collection must update the curator of any changes in email address, website, etc.
- artwork will remain as a permanent part of the website collection.