Webinar: Campus Life at RIT
January 3, 9AM

Join us for a live online presentation to learn more about your next steps, connect with current graduate students, review research opportunities, and much more. To join, enter the webinar room 10 minutes before the time of the webinar.

email button
facebook button
youtube button
Connect on QQ
visit us button
pay deposit button

seal seal



Full-time, accepted graduate students may be awarded scholarships and assistantships by the academic departments. The awarding of scholarships generally occurs during the Admission review process. If you have been awarded a scholarship, notification is included in this packet. If you are an international student, amount of your award is also shown on your I-20.

Assistantships are awarded through the academic departments and the process varies by department. For more information regarding application procedures, please contact the graduate coordinator in your academic department.

If you have not been awarded a scholarship or assistantship, you may contact your academic advisor concerning opportunities that might be available to you after you enroll at RIT.

A variety of offices on campus hire graduate assistants to work while they are here on campus. Following are opportunities you may want to explore:

Click here for information on Student Affairs Assistantships Available

Click here for information on Study Abroad Assistantships Available

Back to top


U.S. CITIZENS AND PERMNANENT RESIDENTS: You may apply for need based financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Part-time and online learning students are also eligible to apply for this aid, provided that they meet the citizenship or residency requirement.

If you are a US student, click here for information on other sources of financial assistance.

For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships


Student Employment – Full-time, matriculated international students (12 or more credits or full-time equivalents) may hold part-time jobs on campus. Students may apply for campus jobs through the Student Employment website at www.rit.edu/seo or apply directly to campus employers such as Dining Services. Students may work up to 20 hours per week and must apply for a U.S. Social Security number immediately after being hired. There may be an opportunity to apply for a Social Security number during International Orientation (if you have already obtained on-campus employment), or you may apply directly to the Social Security Administration at 100 State Street in Rochester. U.S. income taxes may be due on these earnings and will be determined by the RIT Payroll Office. Students on F-1 or J-1 visas are not allowed to work off-campus without the permission of the International Student Program Coordinator or the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.

If you are an International student, click here for more information on other sources of financial assistance.


Firms offering 100% tuition reimbursement, or 100% up to $5,250 may qualify for the Employer Sponsored Tuition Plan. RIT extends a full-semester deferment to students from participating firms. Students must obtain official verification of their eligibility from their Tuition Aid Administrator, and must be in good financial standing from previous semesters. For more information, contact us at opes@rit.edu


Students working for firms that do not qualify for ESTP, or for firms that choose not to participate, may qualify for this deferment program, which extends to the mid-term billing. As with ESTP, students must be in good financial standing, and have verification of the firm’s tuition reimbursement practice.
Contact us for more information at opes@rit.edu

Back to top


The university has an electronic billing (eBill) program for students. Each semester, all RIT students receive an email notification to their official university email account, stating that their eBill is available. Students have the option of selecting three additional email addresses to allow for a parent, guardian, sponsor, or other authorized user to receive eBill notifications. Visit the Student Financial Services website for more information on eServices and electronic billing.


Charges for tuition, fees, room and board are computed on a semester basis. University billing statements may be paid by cash, check or electronic check (e-check). The university does not accept credit card payments for tuition, fees, room and board that appear on the student billing statement. However, we have an arrangement for a third-party vendor to accept MasterCard and Discover Card when payment is made online. The vendor does charge a service fee for each credit card transaction. Billing-related payments by check may be mailed to:

Student Financial Services
University Services Center
25 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623

Payments may also be made in person at the Student Financial Services Office in the University Services Center (Bldg. 87), 1st floor. Credit card and e-check payments may be made at http://eservices.rit.edu.

If you register when you arrive, you will receive a bill when you register, and you will be expected to pay the first semester’s tuition at the Student Financial Services office by the first day of classes. After the first day of classes, late payment fees on amounts not yet paid or arranged for will be charged.

The student billing office at RIT is known as Student Financial Services and is available on-line. Questions regarding your account balance, tuition charges and payment procedures should be directed to Student Financial Services. View your bill on-line with Student Financial Services at eService.

Full-Time Graduate Fee Schedule 2017-2018

Fall 2017-Spring 2018 Academic Year (2 semesters)





Health Insurance 1


Living Expenses 2


Books/Supplies 3







$1,815 per credit hour




varies by course



$1,035 per credit hour




varies by course

1 RIT health insurance required for all full-time graduate students.

2 Estimate based on shared costs for rent, utilities and food in RIT apartments. Choice of housing will determine (and possibly increase) actual cost. If you live in RIT housing, your living expenses will vary depending on where you live. Additional information regarding on-campus housing options and costs is included in the Apartment Living brochure enclosed.

3 Photography and art students should estimate an additional $2,000 for materials and supplies per 9-month period of study.

The RIT Online Graduate tuition rate is for graduate students pursuing their education, degree or non-degree, entirely online. This rate is effective for incoming students fall 2161, excluding the Online Executive MBA, MS Product Development and MS Manufacturing Leadership programs. Students assessed this tuition rate are not eligible to enroll in on-campus or blended classes or receive RIT scholarship. The RIT Online Graduate tuition rate is 43% off the standard graduate tuition rate. Visit the RIT Online website for course and program information.

International students requiring the services of our English Language Center may have additional tuition charges.

Back to top


You should bring enough money with you for your first few weeks at RIT. Many students have found it helpful to bring $1,000 in travelers checks. You may also wish to consider using an ATM machine on campus to access cash from an account previously established at a U.S. bank or one in another country. The ATM machines on campus are supplied by HSBC Bank, Bank of America and M&T Bank and use the NYCE, CIRRUS, Global Access, PLUS, Visa, and MasterCard networks. You should not carry more than $100 in cash.

Back to top


You may open a checking and/or savings account at a bank in the Rochester area usually between the hours of 9:30 am and 3:00 pm, Monday through Saturday. It will take about 2 weeks for your new account to be activated, and for you to receive personalized checks from the bank. An account opened with a check from an overseas bank may take longer to activate.

Back to top


RIT has a convenient Tiger Bucks system. You may place an amount of money in an account at RIT, called Tiger Bucks, and then use your Student ID to make purchases on campus, such as in the bookstore, food service areas, library, and vending machines.
Arrangements for the opening of a Tiger Bucks account can be made with the Student Financial Services Office, (585) 475-6186 or Dining Services Office, (585) 475-2228 .

Back to top


All students registered for 4 or more credit hours and born after January 1, 1957 need to comply with New York State and RIT immunization requirements. New York State Law requires proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella through either two 2 MMR’s or positive blood titers for each disease. New York State also requires all students, regardless of age, to sign a meningococcal awareness form. RIT requires students age 26 and under to have the meningitis shot. Required immunizations should be obtained before arrival at RIT to avoid a delay in registration or interruption of classes for which you may have enrolled. Contact the Student Health Center at (585) 475-2255 with questions.

Additional information and forms are available at www.rit.edu/studentaffairs/studenthealth. Contact the Student Health Center at (585) 475-2255 with questions.

RIT requires that full-time graduate students maintain health insurance. You may apply for coverage through the RIT group rate insurance plan if you do not already have coverage. The annual rate for health insurance for the 2012-2013 school year is approximately $900. For more information, go to http://finweb.rit.edu/grms/studentupdatevoluntary.html

Back to top