Grant Purpose and Goals
Provost’s Leadership Opportunity Grants (PLOG) are offered through funding from the Office of the Provost with support from Faculty Career Development (FCD) in the Innovative Learning Institute (ILI). The goal of these grants is to provide professional development opportunities for faculty to support their career advancement related to leadership. Good leadership is founded on mutual purpose and good character. More broadly, leadership can be demonstrated in the classroom, in governance, or the conference room through collegiality and ethical behavior. The role of leader can be groomed more formally like that of department chair, unit director, or dean. However, informal leadership roles can be possessed and honed by all through reading, resource sharing, and skills developed through lifelong learning and professional development.
This grant program is designed particularly for faculty who are committed to the future of RIT, and who:
- aspire to a leadership role in the future or are serving in a leadership role;
- want to expand knowledge about leadership in higher education;
- have a desire to learn more about the role effective academic leadership plays in academia.
The grants will provide support for projects/activities related to leadership development and/or attendance at leadership development programs. Priority will be given to junior faculty aspiring to leadership positions at RIT or new department chairs/unit heads. Examples of previously funded grant projects may be found here: Spring 2018 PLOG Recipients.
Eligible faculty include full-time tenured, tenure-track or non-tenure track faculty who meet the goals and purpose of the Provost's Leadership Opportunity Grant. Priority will be given to junior faculty aspiring to leadership positions at RIT or new department chairs/unit heads.
Grants ranging from $500 - $2,500 will be considered for this academic year. If you are awarded a grant, you will receive instructions for accessing funds and reporting on the use of your grant.
|October 5, 2018
||CFP announced by the Provost
|November 9, 2018, 12 am (midnight)
||PLOG awards announced to RIT community
|August 30, 2019
||Impact report due from recipients
Applications are reviewed and selected by a faculty committee. The acceptance of a Provost’s Leadership Opportunity Grant does not imply an expectation or an offer of formal leadership moving forward at RIT.
Applicants will be required to:
1. Complete the online application form via this link: 2019 PLOG Application. A sample application form is provided here: Sample Application. It is highly recommended that the application be completed in a Word document before submitting online.
2. Applications must be submitted with an endorsement from the department chair/unit head and associate dean or dean, and emailed to FCDS@rit.edu. Download form here: Grant Applicant Endorsement Form
- Upon completion of the project or activity, grant recipients must submit an impact report demonstrating how they were able to develop leadership skills, potentially impacting their professional development, career advancement, department or college, and/or the RIT campus community as a result of the grant.
- Recipients will be expected to share their experience at a faculty showcase, on the Faculty Career Development website, or other venues.
Questions should be directed to the Faculty Career Development team at FCDS@rit.edu.