RIT Kosovo (A.U.K)
RIT Kosovo (A.U.K), a private, nonprofit higher education institution in Prishtina, Kosovo, seeks an enthusiastic and visionary leader to serve as President. As the Chief Executive Officer, and in partnership with Rochester Institute of Technology, the 5th President will build on RIT Kosovo (A.U.K)’s promise to deliver an outstanding American education for students from Kosovo and the world through innovative curricular, experiential, and research programs in a student-centered culture and boldly lead the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) into the future.
The next President of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) will have an unparalleled opportunity to take one of the Kosovo’s top colleges to the next level with the support of outstanding faculty, students, staff, and external constituencies. Building on a 16-year foundation of innovative thinking, US education system values, strong partnership with Rochester Institute of Technology and a spirit of collegiality, the campus boasts US accredited program in undergraduate, graduate, and professional disciplines. As the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K)’s leader, the President collaborates with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to implement and when necessary define a new vision and set the direction for the institution. As the champion of its reputation, the President articulates the strategic goals and messages of the institution in order to build broad support for and ownership of RIT Kosovo (A.U.K)’s aspirations among its many constituents, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, the Board of Trustees, the AUK Foundation, RIT, local communities, government, business, and industry leaders in Kosovo and US, the media, and the general public.
The President of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) is responsible to the Board of Trustees. Within the policies and regulations of the Board and of other accreditation authorities, the President of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K), as Chief Executive Officer, has general authority and responsibility for the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) and for keeping the Board of Trustees informed regarding the institution in a timely and appropriate manner.
The President is expected to demonstrate those leadership skills necessary for the dynamic pursuit of the goals and objectives embodied in the mission of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K). The President is also expected to understand the higher education needs of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K)'s service region, work with the Board to develop proposals for meeting those needs, and provide leadership to foster cooperation between campus and community in fulfilling the institution's teaching, research, and public service responsibilities.
The President is expected to consult appropriately with faculty, students, classified staff and administrators in discharging the responsibilities of the office. The President is also expected to ensure that the policies, procedures and actions of the Board are communicated to appropriate constituencies of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) in a timely manner.
As Chief Executive Officer of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K), the President is charged with the following specific responsibilities:
• Exercising effective leadership in a joint effort with the Board to implement the mission of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K). Providing effective management of the partner relationship with Rochester Institute of Technology and other US and European Universities.
• Providing effective leadership and support for an academic program that is consistent with the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) mission, the needs of those being served, sound standards of quality, and available resources.
• Providing effective leadership and support for a program of student life that complements the academic program and recognizes the diverse interests and needs of the student body.
• Developing a competent administrative organization and staff to ensure effective and efficient management of the institution.
• Maintaining lawful, equitable and efficient personnel programs, including: appointment of qualified persons to the faculty and staff and promotion, retention or dismissal for cause of the same. These programs should function in accordance with Board policies and Handbook with due regard for the best interests of higher education and Kosovo.
• In addition to any budget formula established by the Board, recommending to the Board annual operating and capital budgets and other plans, financial and otherwise, for realizing the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) mission, and providing sound management of the approved budgets and plans.
• Budgets should reflect priorities of the institution and facilitate their achievement.
• Communicating the needs of higher education to the legislators, Kosovo Accreditation Agency, other state and local officials, and citizens of the state in concert with the Board.
• Interacting with appropriate external bodies, including US and Kosovo Accrediting bodies, to achieve the mission of the institution in a manner consistent with Board policy, statutory and regulatory provisions, and sound academic principles.
• Development of an effective external relations and fundraising program for the institution.
• Demonstrating effective pursuit of the Board’s goals and objectives for both the current year and the long term.
• Undertaking assignments requested by the Board.
Education and Experience
• An earned doctorate or terminal degree;
• Administrative experience demonstrating the ability to lead a complex academic research institution and NGO.
Values and Principles
• A commitment to the development of faculty, staff, and students, and a proven track record of inspiring people and organizations through principled leadership;
• A commitment to the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K)’s academic quality and to the role of scholarship, research, and creative works in the mission of the institution;
• A commitment to the student-centered mission of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) and an understanding of undergraduate, graduate, and professional student interests;
• A commitment to academic freedom and shared governance and an understanding of their importance to sustaining the quality of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K);
• A commitment to equal opportunity and access and to the important role that diversity must play in educational institutions;
• A commitment to student safety and welfare and a sensitivity to issues related to campus culture;
• A commitment to external constituencies including alumni, the Foundation, and the broader community;
• A commitment to fundraising the necessary funds to support endowment, student scholarship, faculty professorship and infrastructure development in the campus;
• A commitment to advancing Kosovo society and active participation in social life in Kosovo.
• Excellent communication skills;
• Interpersonal skills to interact effectively with the various constituencies of the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K), alumni, Foundation, media, and community at large;
• Interpersonal skills to interact effectively with elected officials, governmental bodies, and the Kosovo community;
• Ability to hire and build an effective administrative team;
• Ability to foster an innovative environment that attracts high-quality faculty, students, and staff by stimulating creativity, research, teaching, and learning;
• Ability to identify opportunities and to convert challenges into innovative solutions and programs that will advance the future of the institution;
• Ability to promote a shared vision to address challenges and create opportunities, especially in the areas of student recruitment, research support, finances, and improvements to facilities and technology;
• Ability to raise funds from private, state, national and international sources, diaspora sources and to articulate to external audiences the value of supporting the RIT Kosovo (A.U.K);
• Strong leadership skills in strategic planning and fiscal planning and management
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a Statement of Interest and a Resume.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
About RIT Kosovo:
Following the Kosovo War, the American University in Kosovo Foundation (AUKF) was established in the summer of 2002 with the single purpose of developing a private nonprofit university based on the American model of higher education in partnership with a university in the United States. That partner, the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), proposed a program for Kosovo that was consistent with the mission of RIT: to provide technology-based educational programs for lifelong career development.
The institution presently serves approximately 450 undergraduate students, and over 1,000 additional students annually enroll in short-term non-credit classes often tailored to local work-force demands. RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) remains the only Kosovo institution of higher education awarding American degrees offered wholly in the English language. Additionally, as a multi-ethnic institution enrolling students from over 20 countries, RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) provides a high quality education to students from Kosovo and beyond.
At the undergraduate level, the degree program offered at RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) is the RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) Bachelor of Science Degree in Applied Arts and Science (BSc). RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) offers this American degree with innovation, adaptability and creative pathways that prepare students with professional and life skills for a global world. Students have the opportunity to create their undergraduate programs from two or more professional areas of study with a strong foundation in the social sciences, through RIT’s School of Individualized Study. In Kosovo, these professional areas of study are Management and Entrepreneurship, Economics and Statistics, Public Policy and Governance, Graphic Design and Multimedia, Web and Mobile Computing (IT), Energy Policy Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies. RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) is expanding its curriculum offer to include a Master’s of Science Degree in Professional Studies in areas of Project Management, Design Thinking, Public Policies and others.
Currently a 15 member Board of Trustees that hails from around the globe governs RIT Kosovo (A.U.K) and is responsible for developing and approving the institution’s mission, vision, strategic goals and objectives, annual budget, and for establishing policies related to programs and services. The Board appoints a President with responsibilities for administration of college programs and activities and the organization as a whole.