Explore the history of typography and develop a cross-cultural outlook important to understanding the future of typography.
- Examine typography's rich history, the evolution of type in Northern Italy and how those practices influence American typography today.
- Visit typographic museums, hear from guest speakers and participate in hands-on activities.
- Visit Fabrica, a communication and design research center in Treviso and explore Tipoteca, a museum devoted to preserve and display the heritage of Italian typefaces and letterpress printing.
IDEA 300: Typography & Culture in Northern Italy
Open to all undergraduate students. No pre-requisites. May count towards an artistic perspective. 3rd year status and above preferred.
• Location: Venice, Bologna, Parma and Treviso, Italy
• Travel dates: Early summer
Application deadline has been reached for the summer 2019 program. Contact the faculty director to inquire about next year's program.
Program Cost: A compete student budget worksheet for the summer 2019 program can be found here. Students should take a copy of this worksheet to their financial aid advisor early in the application process to determine how their aid may apply to the program cost.
RIT Students Only