Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Site-wide links

FAQ: Current Students

How can I contact the Registrar's Office?

You can reach us by phone at 585/475-2821 or on our website using Ask the Registrar.

I have a question about my academic record. Where do I go for information?

As far as your academic record goes, your first stop should be your academic department, and your academic advisor. One of the first things you should do is find out who your academic advisor is, and keep in touch with him or her as you progress in your career at RIT.

I was contacted by my loan company about repayment but I am still enrolled at RIT. How do I notify the loan company?

Please call our office and let us know of your graduation plans so that we can update your expected graduation date. When that is accurate, send an enrollment verification to the loan company.

My parents received a request from their insurance company requiring proof that I am a full-time student. How and where do I get this information?

Enrollment verifications are requested for a number of reasons, but generally are needed by students to support such things as financial aid scholarships and loans, students discounts, dental and health insurance, apartment rentals and auto loans.

We have a self-service option that permits students to print an enrollment verification whenever one is needed. If this does not work for you, or meet the requirements of your requesting company, please call 585/475-2821 or e-mail Ask the Registrar.

What are the hours for the Registrar's Office?

Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

What are the responsibilities of the Registrar's Office?

There are a range of responsibilities that come under the "umbrella" of the Office of the Registrar. This office is in charge of insuring the integrity of academic records, and the maintenance of those records for both current and former students. The office is responsible for planning, processing and monitoring all registration activity. Students can register for courses online at the infocenter, by mail, fax or in-person.

The Office of the Registrar is also responsible for the systems that support course, final exam and academic classroom scheduling. The staff coordinates add/drop activity; processes withdrawals, change of grade and other records maintenance; records AP and transfer credit; provides on-line class lists and grade rosters; and generates transcripts. ID cards are also supplied by the Registrar's Office.

Personnel act as a resource for questions regarding policies, procedures and accreditation of other post secondary institutions; coordinate degree certification and the mailing of diplomas; and provide academic and management information and reports.

What is the Student Information System (SIS)?

This is one of the most widely accessed sites on-campus. Using your RIT computer account, you can log into the Info Center/SIS.

Once in the Student Information System, you can:

  • Register for courses
  • Drop and Add courses to your schedule
  • Review, update and change the following addresses:
    • Home
    • Second Home (for separated of divorced parents)
    • Local (on-campus)
    • Next of kin (for emergency contacts)
    • Second emergency address
  • View your quarterly charges, financial aid credits, and account payments
  • Request a refund or transfer funds
  • Review your enrollment verifications and registration holds
  • Check your grades, class schedule, Grade Point Average (GPA) statistics, and view open and closed courses, degree information, the GPA calculation model, your Academic Advising Report (AAR) and quarterly exam schedule.
What should I do if I lose my ID card?

Lost cards should be reported to Campus Safety immediately. During regular business hours the Registrar's Office and Food Service can also deactivate the lost card in order to prevent unauthorized use of your ID. Come to the Registrar's Office to obtain a new card.

What's the difference between "dropping" and "withdrawing" from a class?

The Drop/Add period is the first seven days of a quarter (including weekends) beginning on the first day of classes. A student can drop classes on-line via the Student Information System, at his or her department, or at the Registrar's Office. When a student drops a class during this time frame there is no record kept that will show on an official transcript.

Once the first seven days of the quarter have passed, and through the end of the 8th week of the quarter, if a student wishes to remove him or herself from a class, the student may withdraw via the Student Information System. A grade of "W" is assigned to that course, and the withdrawal becomes part of the student's permanent record. In processing the request, the student, the student's instructor, the student's advisor and the student's home program or department head will be notified via email. Students are strongly advised to consult with their advisor and instructor before they withdraw from a course.

Where can I find information on registration deadlines, policies and procedures?

The Annual Enrollment Guide includes information on registration dates, Add/Drop and withdrawal deadlines. This guide, along with public facing class search can be found on Infocenter.

Where can I find more information about enrollment?

Enrollment FAQs

Find detailed answers to questions that have been raised by other students.

SIS Training Website

The SIS Training Website has more detailed instructions with screenshots on how to use the SIS.

Send Us an Email

Have a question? We're happy to help! Send us any comments, questions, or feedback on the system.

Where will I receive my grade report?

At the end of each quarter, instructors input grades online. Students may view their grades online via the Student Information System.

Why do I need an ID card?

All students are required to have an RIT ID card. Your card is required for access to Institute facilities such as Wallace Library and the Student Life Center; to participate in the RIT meal plan; and to use the FLEX debit account for services throughout the campus. It is also your "ticket" to RIT campus events.