Each year, NYSP2I hosts a R&D Student Competition. The Competition provides an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate level student teams from colleges and universities across New York State to get involved by researching, developing and designing solutions to real-world environmental challenges. The competition promotes creative thinking, problem solving, teamwork and collaboration across disciplines. Student teams selected to participate in the competition present their projects to environmental experts, gain insight from established professionals and receive recognition by potential future employers.
The competition typically kicks off in the early fall with student team applications due by the late fall. Student teams selected to participate are given approximately four months to complete projects. The competition concludes with an exhibition and winner selection in late April at one of the four NYSP2I partner universities (Rochester Institute of Technology, Clarkson University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute or University at Buffalo).
The exhibition also provides an opportunity for students to explore environmentally-focused career opportunities. If your company or organization is recruiting for this type of position and would like to participate, please contact us.
Application deadline for the 2017 R&D Student Competition is Friday, November 11th.
The 2016-2017 R&D Student Competition Exhibition will be held on April 21, 2017. The exhibition is open to the public and is free to attend. Information for this year's competition is now posted!
Please read and fill out the below PDFs and send them to us at email@example.com to apply.
I am an international student. Can I still apply?
International students are eligible if they meet the eligibility criteria found in the Eligibility Information section of the Request for Applications.
What if my project was completed last year? Can I submit it to the competition this year?
No. Teams are expected to actively work on their project during the competition period.
My environmental club wants to submit an application, will that be accepted?
All team members must meet the eligibility criteria found in the Eligibility Information section of the Request for Applications. Teams must consist of 2-4 student members and faculty or staff advisor.
The funding provided for the project is $1,250. Can this money go to support my time and effort?
The project funding may only be used for the purchase of materials and supplies, and other non-effort related expenses required to complete the project.
I am working on a project in my class for credit. May I submit it to the competition?
Yes. You may submit a project that will be completed for course credit to the competition. However, approval must be granted through your university or college sponsored research office.
Am I required to submit the application electronically?
Yes. Applications must be received electronically by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, November 11, 2016.
I am not sure my project fits the project parameters. Is there someone I can talk to about my application?
Yes. If you have a project idea in mind, we can help you determine if the project is eligible. Please contact us.
Last Year’s Teams
Congratulations to the participating teams of the NYSP2I 5th Annual R&D Student Competition! Good luck!
- Orange Goes Green (Syracuse University)
- Project: Improving Energy Efficiency of Hot Water Supply for a Campus Residence Hall
- RIT Oilers (Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Project: RIT Waste Vegetable Oil
- Anti-Fouling Membrane Group (University at Buffalo)
- Project: One-Step Strategy to enhance membrane antifouling properties for wastewater use
- Vassar Greywater Systems Initiative (Vassar)
- Project: Greywater Reuse System at Vassar College
- The Undergrad Pack (Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Project: Antimicrobial/Intelligent packaging systems to fight food waste
- Engineers for a Sustainable World (University at Buffalo)
- Project: Solar Charging Station
- The Sustainable Seawolves (Stonybrook)
- Project: Constructed Wetlands: Tackling Suffolk County's Wastewater
- Building 7 (Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Project: Transparent Consumption in the Modern Day Home
- RPI Smart Lighting Team (Renesslear Polytechnic Institute)
- Project: Smart Home-Reduction in Energy Usage
- Clarkson SHP: A3 (Clarkson University)
- Project: Improving Energy Use Feedback to Communicate the impacts of energy Use
- RPI Post-Harvest UV (Renesslear Polytechnic Institute)
- Project: Deep UV LED technology for Prohibition of Mold Growth in Post-Harvest Produce
- Team Ecological (Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Project: Reusable Packaging system with insulating and ethylene-absorbing abilities as an effective tool to eliminate food waste
- Tiny but Hungry (Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Project: Quantifying the components of the mass and energy balance of a black soldier fly food waste composting system
NYSP2I is currently seeking sponsors to support the competition. Typical sponsorship is at the $250 Silver Level, $500 Gold Level or $1,000 Platinum Level. Recognition of sponsorship will be included in the exhibition program and will be prominently displayed on the NYSP2I website and at the event. If your organization is interested in sponsorship, please contact us.