How to Stay Fresh on the Road

How to Stay Fresh on the Road

After completing a cross-country road trip this past summer, I can tell you first hand the one thing that I underestimated was the lack of showering. Not going to lie, my hair was probably the best it’s ever been because all the natural oils and “science”. However, it got to a point where I couldn’t stand it and I just needed to feel clean. Luckily we were semi-prepared and I’m going to share with you some tips on how to stay sort of clean while you’re on the road.

Baby Wipes

Whether you’re just beginning your journey or you’re in the middle of it, baby wipes are a necessity. These are like a hundred-pack of mini showers. Just take one out, give yourself a quick wipe-down, and get all that nasty dirt and sweat off from hiking through the forest or from sitting in the car all day covered in Dorito dust. Certainly a must have.

Dr. Bronners (~ $15)

In the words of the great DJ Khaled, this is a MAJOR KEY. It’s a little pricey but it is worth every penny. Dr. Bronners is an all-in-one “soap” for your every need. This can be used as body wash, shampoo, toothpaste (not the best tasting FYI), laundry detergent, and dishwashing liquid just to name a few. Did I mention that it’s all organic too? A little of this stuff goes a long way and it comes in handy with my next tip.

Good Ole’ Bucket Shower

This will probably be the closest you’ll get to a real shower. I want to preface this one by saying that it would be good to have a large cooler of some kind because I’m pretty sure you can’t just fill one of these up at the Walmart you’re camping at. Take the big utility bucket and fill it ¼ – ⅓ full, the less water the better. Then find a discreet location where nobody will see you rid yourself of a week’s worth of grime (Pro tip: Dirt roads in the middle of South Dakota work great.) Next take a water bottle and pour it over yourself like you just won the National Championship. After you’ve hosed yourself down, take some of that Dr. Bronner’s, lather it up in your hands or in a small hand towel, and proceed like a normal shower. Pour more water over yourself to ensure a smooth rinse and then dispose of your dirty shower water. Dry off and you’re ready to hit the road again!

Truck Stop Showers ( ~ $12/Free*)

**NOTE** Shower shoes are a MUST

Sometimes the battle of being on the road in a different place each night can get the best of you. I am with you 100% on that. A good way to cure that is with an ACTUAL shower. There are many different truck stops that have showers but the only one that I’ve tried is Love’s. I get it, a truck stop shower?? Gross. That’s what I thought too, but being on the road is about getting outside your comfort zone. The showers here were actually surprisingly nice, much like your own fancy personal gym shower. They supply you with towels and washcloths, all you need is your Dr. Bronner’s! The showers were around $12 unless you had a 50+ gallon rig…in that case it’s free.

BONUS TIP: On those days that you aren’t showering make sure to use your deodorant and brush your teeth to trick your mind into thinking you’re clean.

Being on the road can definitely be a daunting thing mentally, but if you’re fresh and feeling good it makes all the difference. Now get out there, explore, get dirty, use the tips above, rinse and repeat.