This ensemble consists of trumpets, trombones, saxes, piano, drums, bass, and guitar. The repertoire typically includes traditional big band music of Count Basie, Duke Ellington, and Woody Herman, as well as contemporary music of such groups as Spyro Gyra. Music by local composers, such as Matt Harris, are also performed.
Jazz Ensemble auditions will be held on Tuesday, August 29 and Thursday, August 31 (5:00pm both days) in SAU 04-A130. There will be a brief informational session with some playing together as an ensemble to start the session on Tuesday, and then the Director will meet individually with each student. Auditions will continue on Thursday for students who are unable to attend Tuesday's session. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Below is a list of works that have been performed by the RIT Jazz Ensembles over the past five years.
- Bill Liston - The Longest Hour
- David Berger - Business As Usual
- Duke Ellington - The Mooche
- Earl Hagen - Harlem Nocturne
- Frank Mantooth - I Know What I’m Here For
- Frank Mantooth - That Old Black Magic
- Frank Mantooth - The Louis Shuffle
- Gene Thorne - Layover In San Juan
- Jeff Beal - Blues-It is
- Jeff Jarvis - Honk
- Jeff Jarvis - Old School
- Jeff Jarvis - Pure & Simple
- Jon Kruger - Big Dave
- Jon Kruger - Bossa Contrapunctus
- Jon Kruger - Simone Sez
- Jon Kruger - The Quarter-Mile Blues
- Kenny Dorham - Hill’s Edge
- Mike Lewis - One More For The Count
- Mike Steinel - Weaselwalk
- Mike Tomaro - One For Oliver
- Richard Saucedo - Mosaic
- Rick Lawn - Small Wonders
- Sammy Nestico - Wind Machine
5:00 - 6:20PM Tuesdays; Thursdays (Jazz Ensemble) SAU Music Room (A130)
6:30 - 10:10PM Wednesdays (Jazz Lab Ensemble) SAU Music Room (A130)
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Students can register for this 1 credit course.