The conference theme for the 2018 New York Conference on Asian Studies is Innovation and Invention. Panels and individual papers can be broadly construed, including such concepts as:
- The use of technology in Asia, both modern and Ancient
- The use of technology in a pedagogical sense. In other words, how does technology inform our teaching as well as our students’ learning?
- The concept of invented tradition.
- Technology as a tool of integration and/or separation across cultural and political divides
- The use of existing technologies in innovative ways; for example, using mobile technology to bypass traditional “land lines” and to connect producers directly to local and international markets.
Although this is the broad theme for this year’s conference, papers from any time period and on any theme are certainly accepted and encouraged.