January 27th – ImagineRIT Project Update

We met again this weekend to continue work on the project. I started working on the controller by redoing the ethernet cable, getting it hooked up to a Mega, then started testing code. After finding a few bugs, the controller code was noted to be almost finished. Besides that, not much software was done, because the rest of the software team was at Brickhack, so we will resume FMS top-half development next weekend. The rest of the group worked on CAD modeling and 3d printing, where the manipulators are almost done and the field is complete. We will continue next week at 10am in INS-1080.

January 20th – ImagineRIT Project Update

This weekend, we restarted Imagine meetings at the new (early) time. However, during break, Ben finished the controller PCB design and ordered some (assembly will be starting soon) and software for all components was released as R1. After getting our things from Gleason, we started work. Software worked on the scoreboard and how it would be connected to the FMS and the UI of the FMS. Designers continued working on their models, with the manipulators being almost done. Ben also worked on using LEDs to light the acrylic frame (to give it a cool glow). Additionally, the remaining Raspberry Pi Zero Ws were ordered and a reimbursement form was made on Sharepoint.

After lunch (without chocolate chip pancakes), we continued work on modeling, then received the email that the PCBs had been delivered to the post office. So, Ben then started assembling a PCB, and once finished, I wired up an Ethernet cable and deployed code. After messing around with code deploying, we plugged in the controller to a Mega, and figure out that I had wired the Ethernet cable upside-down, we decided to call it a day. Work will continue next Saturday at 10am in INS-1080.

December 9th – ImagineRIT Project Update

This weekend was a mostly spent wrapping up the semester and doing lots of planning and administrative work. However, we finally got Solidworks installed on Braeden’s laptop and got the Arduino development script finished. I also worked on getting R1 complete for the ASC (Arduino Scoring and Controller unit) and R2 complete for the controller firmware. The FMS and robot code are being developed, so R1 should be completed for all software before/during the first weekend back (January 20th) (however, note that the FMS R1 will not have a fancy GUI, probably just a CLI).

As for administrative work, we sat down and redid the schedule and made sure that we will have enough time to complete the project. Because we did FRC robot revival, we were thrown off schedule, and are now very far behind. We are trying to get back on schedule over break and in the beginning of next semester.

December 2nd – ImagineRIT Project Update

This weekend was a busy and successful weekend for Imagine. We did a lot of parallelized work, including CAD, project management, electronics work, and software development. We continued work on the CAD model of the field and we decided to add a bump in the middle of the field. Brett did project management stuff to make sure that we would finish the project on time (which we are pretty far behind on). Ben worked on differently layouts for the controller and started on a prototype on a controller with an Arduino Uno processor (ATmel 328) on the controller and a serial (i2c) connection with the scoring Arduino. In the software department, we worked on setting up the Raspberry Pi Zero W with the Picon Zero HAT. Once we got it working, we wired the motors and the extra power required for the Picon Zero, and then tested driving.

At the end of the meeting, we grouped up and went over system architecture and how we would need to adjust our original architecture to put a microprocessor on the controller.

November 11th – ImagineRIT Project Update

Not much happened this weekend with the Imagine project (at least not as much when compared to FRC). A new DAC design was tested and was working, but it wasn’t very accurate. We consulted with Andrew (our local EE and former club president) and he said that converting the digital signals to analog might not be the best idea, as it is viable to interference and the resistance of the wire that it will be transmitted over (because we are not dealing with a perfectly spherical chicken in a vacuum), and we should look into using serial (either send the analog signals over serial or put a microcontroller on the controller and send data to the SCC Mega over serial). We will be discussing our options at the meeting on Monday. Additionally, CAD work was done, some of the “new” electronics stuff (power supply and oscilloscope) was tested, and the test frame was reassembled.