RIT Alumni Association
RIT Alumni Association

Indeed you can. A gift to a qualified charity of appreciated stocks, bonds, and/or mutual fund shares—that you’ve held long term (more than one year)—allows this. You can reduce or eliminate entirely the capital gains tax that you would have incurred had you sold the shares yourself.

When most people think about making a charitable gift, they think of giving cash from a checking or savings account. While we appreciate gifts of any kind to help support RIT’s mission, there are many ways that you can give and benefit through making a gift of other assets to the university you love.

Making a gift of non-cash assets, including stocks and other securities, can help you in several ways:

  • If you give appreciated assets, you can avoid paying capital gains tax
  • You will receive a charitable deduction for your gift which can lower your tax bill
  • You can make a gift today while preserving your cash for immediate or future needs
  • You and your family can receive benefits such as lifetime income
  • You may be able to make greater gifts than you ever thought possible

If you want to know about other ways to give, ask us about how your stock can be used to support RIT’s mission. You can use it to fund a charitable gift annuity, charitable remainder trust or charitable lead trust. These plans pay you income and provide additional tax benefits. Call us or email us at 585.475.3106 or plannedgiving@rit.edu.

If you would prefer to be contacted directly, please complete the following form:

please make sure your First Name contains no special characters or numbers
please make sure your Last Name contains no special characters or numbers
Please make sure your Graduate Year is four numbers long
please make sure your email address format is valid i.e. example@test.com
please make sure your Telephone contains no letters or special characters and is at least 5 digits long

It is more than a gift. It is your legacy.

Disclaimer: The information included on this website is not intended to be legal or tax advice and may not be relied upon for tax decisions you wish to make. Always contact your tax or legal advisor to see if the ideas discussed in this article are appropriate for you.