College students who are considering study beyond the baccalaureate level can realize their dreams through the McNair Scholars Program. Here are just some of the benefits of being a McNair Scholar:
- As a McNair Scholar, you will receive personalized, one-on-one academic advising; coaching; academic achievement consultation; mentoring in research skills; and preparation for successful entry into a graduate program.
- McNair Program professionals and RIT faculty members will guide you in developing academic skills and meeting scholarly performance standards needed to survive in demanding graduate school programs.
- You will participate in an intense 10-week, summer research experience. During this experience, you will have the opportunity to conduct original research as an undergraduate student under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
- You will learn how to construct a curriculum vitae and write a personal statement for your graduate school application and other academic opportunities.
- You will have opportunities to travel to conferences to present your research and develop strong writing and communication skills in preparation for the rigorous nature of graduate study.
- You will receive the prestige and recognition associated with being a McNair Scholar, which may, in turn, help you to become accepted into a top-choice graduate program.
- You will have a strong "edge" over "typical" undergraduate students who might not have access to such a diverse array of resources.
- As a senior scholar, you may receive funding to visit up to two of your top choice graduate schools to talk with faculty and graduate students.
- As a McNair Scholar, you may have your graduate school application fee waived.
We are committed to seeing scholars succeed and, in return, expect a firm commitment from you. We look forward to helping you reach your academic goals!
Check out RIT McNair Scholar Tyler Barley's story here!