Dr. Ioannis Karamitsos
Ioannis Karamitsos is an Assistant Professor at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)-Dubai Campus. In 2016, he had joined the Department of Electrical Engineering as an Adjunct Professor at Rochester Institute of Technology Dubai.
Previously, Dr. Karamitsos spent over 30 years with a unique mix of academic research, industrial, and DOE lab R&D experiences. He was worked within the private and public sectors and experienced within European, Middle East, and Chinese companies.
From 2010 to 2020 he was a Senior Digital Transformation Technologist- Blockchain Practice Lead at Orange Business Services in Dubai with ten years of consulting experience working with clients to develop and deliver their strategies and transform their organizations into Smart and Digital Cities. He was strategist advisor for the development of the two smart cities in KSA, the Information Technology Complex (ITCC) and King Abdulaziz Financial Center (KAFD), and supported the strategy for developing a suite of smart city services. As blockchain practice lead collaborated with UAE public entities such as DSOA, Dubai Economy, and Dubai Land to conceptualize and implement blockchains and AI solutions. Defined a complete end-to-end digital enablement roadmap. Conducted multiple digital innovation workshops, smart contracts, and POCs to identify digital disruptions and the business and technology transformation approach. Since 2017, he is an active member of the DSOA-Dubai Innovation Advisory Board and DTEC accelerator as a mentor. Dr. Karamitsos is an author of over 40 papers and technical reports, and member of IEEE since 1997, and his serving as a reviewer in several engineering journals, and conferences.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science: University of Sunderland, UK
- MSc in Telematics Management: University of Danube Krems, Austria,
- BSc (Laurea) in Electronic Engineering: University of Rome "La Sapienza", Italy
Best Application Oriented Paper Award: Ioannis Karamitsos, and Apostolopoulos Christos, “Study of flow streams as a performance parameter for Data Centers". In International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology 2015 (IIT’15), pp.269-272, 1st – 3rd Nov, 2015, Dubai, UAE (DOI:10.1109/INNOVATIONS.2015.7381546).
- Data mining, machine learning, AI, and Big Data
- Blockchain, quantum post computing, next-generation cloud networks,
- Deep Learning, GANs and Probabilistic Machine Learning
- Smart Cities under the ICT and non-ICT convergence and Smart Services
- Ioannis Karamitsos, “Broadband Access Network: VDSL Technology, ISBN:3659252581, publisher: LAP LAMBERT ACADEMIC PUBLISHING (2012).
- Ioannis Karamitsos and Mohamed Salama. “Digital Transformation in the Event Industry”. In Mohamed Salama, editor, Event Project Management, chapter 12. ISBN: 9781911635734, Oxford: Goodfellow Publishers (2021) (https://dx.doi.org/10.23912/978191635734-4778)
- Ioannis Karamitsos, Charalambos Manifavas, and Amer Muhiedin. “The Influence of Big Data and IoT on Smart Cities”. In Wael A. Samad and Elie Azar (eds), Smart Cities in Gulf, chapter 9, pp.151-172. ISBN 9789811320101, Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore (2019).
- Ioannis Karamitsos, Mohamed Salama, and Mohamed El Gindy. “Blockchain: A Disruptive Technology in the Sustainable Economic System”. In Mohamed Salama, editor, Principles of Sustainable Project Management, chapter 7. ISBN: 9781911396857, Oxford: Goodfellow Publishers ISBN: 9781911396857 (2018).
Maria Papadaki, Ioannis Karamitsos, and Marinos Themistocleous, “ViewpointCovid-19 digital test certificates and Blockchain” in Journal of Enterprise Information Management, vol.34 No.4, pp.993-1003, July 2021, (https://doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-07-2021-554) [Q1, SJR:0.8, IF:3.23].
Maria Papadaki and Ioannis Karamitsos “Blockchain Technology in the Middle East and North Africa Region” in Information Technology for Development, March 2021, (https://doi.org/10.1080/02681102.2021.1882368) [Q1, IF:2.733]
Ioannis Karamitsos, Saeed Albarhami, and Charalampos Apostolopoulos, “Applying DevOps Practices of Continuous Automation for Machine Learning” in MDPI Information 2020, Vol.11, No. 363, July 2020 (https://doi.org/10.3390/info11070363) [Q3, SJR:0.35; Scopus:2.4]
Ioannis Karamitsos, Aishwarya Afzulpurkar, and Theodore Trafalis, “Malware Detection for Forensic Memory using Deep Recurrent Neural Networks”, in Journal of Information Security, vol.11, No.2, pp.103-120 ,April 2020 (https://doi.org/10.4236/jis.2020.112007) [IF:2.43].
Ioannis Karamitsos, Saeed Albarhami, and Charalampos Apostolopoulos, “Tweet Sentiment Analysis (TSA) for Cloud Providers using Classification Algorithms and Latent Semantic Analysis”, in Journal of Data Analysis and Information Processing (JDAIP), vol.7, No.4, pp. 276-294, November 2019 (https://doi.org/10.4236/jdaip.2019.74016) [IF: 1.24].
Ioannis Karamitsos, Maria Papadaki, and Nedaa Baker Al Barghuthi, “Design of the blockchain smart contract: A Use Case for Real Estate”, in Journal of Information Security (JIS), vol.9, No.3, July 2018 (https://doi.org/10.4236/jsis.2018.93013) [IF: 2.43].
Ioannis Karamitsos and Chris Bowerman, “A Resource Reservation Protocol with Linear Traffic Prediction for OBS Networks,” In Advances in Optical Technologies, vol. 2013, Article ID 425372, 2013, ISSN:16876407, DOI: 10.1155/2013/425372 (acceptance rate 26%) [Scopus List, SJR:0.92]
Maria Papadaki, Nikolaos Bakas, Edward Ochieng, Ioannis Karamitsos, and Richard Kirkham, "Big data from social media and scientific literature databases reveals relationships among risks management, project management, and project success”, in 6th Annual University of Maryland Project Management Symposium, Maryland, USA, May 2019; PM World Journal, Vol VIII, Issue VIII, September 2019, ISSN 2330-4480.
Ioannis Karamitsos, and Afzulpurkar Aishwarya, "The Influence of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare applications”, in the Proceedings of the 9th Gulf Research Meeting, Cambridge, UK, 16-18 July 2019.
Ioannis Karamitsos and Charalambos Manifavas, "Blockchain Smart Contracts: A new approach for trading local energy markets", in the Proceedings of the International Conference in Innovative Applied Energy (IAPE), Oxford, UK, 14-15 March 2019
Ioannis Karamitsos, George Tsaramiris, and Apostolopoulos Charalampos, "Smart Parking: An IoT application for Smart City", in the Proceedings of the 10th INDIACom-2016 International Conference, pp.2271-2275, 16th – 18th March 2016, INDIA. [SJR:0.15]