Dr. Jamaal Pitt
Dr. Jamaal Pitt has a Ph. D. and M.A. in Philosophy with a specialization in Political Philosophy from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He also has a B.S. in both Philosophy and Mechanical Engineering from North Carolina State University.
Dr. Pitt has over 10 years of experience in international education including in the U.S., South Korean, and the UAE. He currently is an Assistant Professor in Philosophy as part of the Department of Sciences and Liberal Arts at RIT-Dubai. Moreover, Dr. Pitt serves as the RIT-Dubai representative on the FRAM International Advisory board, a part of RIT’s Applied Critical Thinking Initiative. Finally, he is the Writing Center coordinator, which is a service provided to help improve RIT-Dubai students’ writing proficiency.
Dr. Pitt teaches courses for RIT Dubai in multiple areas. He primarily teaches classes in moral philosophy but also teaches introductory courses in communication and academic writing as well.
- PhD: Philosophy, University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill
- MA: Philosophy, University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill
- BSc: Philosophy, North Carolina State University
- BSc: Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina State University
- Research Interest: Dr. Pitt is interested in contemporary defenses of liberalism in the realm of politics with a special focus on the political theory of John Rawls. His work focuses on examining Rawls’s ideas of public reason and reasonableness.
- “Converging on Public Education”
- “Public Reason in Practice: The Current Debate Over the How to Proceed in Democratic Party Politics in the United States”