Dr. Muhieddin Amer
Dr. Muhieddin Amer is a professor of Electrical Engineering and chair of the Electrical Engineering and Computing Sciences department at RIT Dubai. He has been with RIT Dubai since 2009. Dr. Amer received his Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1999.
Dr. Amer has over 15 years of industry experience in wireless communications. While with Nortel Networks, he assumed several leadership positions in the Wireless Engineering Division and made significant contributions towards the development of 2G, 3G, and 4G cellular products and solutions that have influenced the company’s technology and product evolution path in addition to changes to 3GPP LTE specifications.
Dr. Amer has championed dozens of research projects in wireless network engineering, holds three patents in wireless product development, and has published extensively in IEEE conferences and wireless engineering forums. His research interest includes the design and performance evaluation of the PHY and MAC algorithms for 5G systems and the development of smart solutions to enable digital transformation. In recent years, Dr. Amer worked with his students on wireless propagation and link budgets, interference control, MIMO, network slicing, and resource allocation of 5G cellular and deep-space communication systems. He’s a member of a faculty group leading the research and implementation of several use cases including autonomous transport, and smart gate & visitor journey. Dr. Amer is a senior IEEE member since 2003.
Under his leadership at RIT Dubai, the Electrical Engineering and Computing Sciences department has witnessed a steady increase in student enrollment and an expansion to the number of programs and focus areas. Student retention rates are steadily improving as well as the research contributions by faculty and students. All programs have secured the accreditation of the local and international bodies including ABET for engineering.
- Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Arlington
- M.Sc. from the University of Texas at Arlington
- B.Sc. from the University of Baghdad
- “A Novel Combining Technique for Massive MIMO for 5G”, Dr. Muhieddin Amer and Mr. Omar Abdul-Latif
- Indoor Navigation System research by Dr. Boutheina, Dr. Muhieddin, and Omar Abdulatif
- Principal applicant of the “Digital Transformation” innovation lab application. The lab intends to create multitudes of teaching, training, and research activities for RIT Dubai faculty and students and for the Emirati nationals. The lab is funded by ICTFund. (2018, AED 3,618,804)
- “PAPR Reduction in UF-OFDM and F-OFDM 5G Systems using ZCT Precoding Technique” Naziya Begum and Muhieddin Amer, Int. Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), V 06, Issue 04, April 2019.
- “CMOS Cascode LNA with Post Distortion Cancellation Linearizer for Wireless Communications” Z. El-Khatib, B. Tlili, M. Amer and L. Fuller, International Conference on Electrical and Computing Technologies & Applications (ICECTA-2017), American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) – Ras Al Khaimah, UAE, Nov. 2017
- “The influence of Big Data and IoT in Smart Cities”, I. Karamitsos, C. Manifavas and M. Amer, 2017 Gulf Research Meeting, Cambridge, UK, 1-4 Aug. 2017
- “ Optimization of FFR for LTE Uplink Systems”, Ousama Basta and Muhieddin Amer, Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering 2016 Vol I WCE 2016, June 29 - July 1, 2016, London, U.K
- Alex Friess and Muhieddin Amer, “Observations on startup and operational challenges for US engineering programs in the Middle East” 120th ASEE Annual Conference, Atlanta, June 2013.
- Muhieddin Amer, “Optimal Configuration of Fractional Frequency Reuse System for LTE Cellular Networks”, in proceed of IEEE VTC-2012 Fall conference in Quebec, Sept. 2012.
- Design and Analysis of Millimeter Wave Double F Slot patch Antenna for future 5G Wireless Communication- International Conference on Electrical and Computing Technologies & Applications (ICECTA-2017)