As part of their bachelor's degree requirements, students must complete an immersion—a concentration of three courses in a particular area. These upper-level courses are used to meet RIT's general education requirements. In many cases, an immersion can lead to a minor with the addition of two courses. However, not all minors have a corresponding immersion and vice versa.
These are the immersions available at RIT Dubai:
- Creative Writing
- Cultural Anthropology
- Digital Literature & Comparative Media
- Modern Languages – Arabic
- Modern Languages – French
- Religious Studies
Students pursuing a bachelor’s degree have the option of completing a minor, which can complement a student’s major, help them develop another area of professional expertise, or enable them to pursue an area of personal interest. Completion of a minor is not listed on the diploma, but is formally designated on the baccalaureate transcript, which serves to highlight this accomplishment to employers and graduate schools.
A minor at RIT is a related set of academic courses consisting of no fewer than 15 semester credit hours. In most cases, minors shall consist of a minimum of two upper division courses to provide reasonable breadth and depth within the minor.
The following parameters must be met in order to earn a minor:
- At least nine credit hours of the minor must consist of courses not required by the student’s home major;
- Students may pursue multiple minors. A minimum of nine credit hours must be designated towards each minor; these courses may not be counted towards other minors;
- The residency requirement for a minor is a minimum of nine credit hours consisting of RIT courses (excluding “X” graded courses);
- Posting of the minor on the student's academic transcript requires a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the minor;
These are the approved minors available at RIT Dubai:
Business and Management Department (Chair: Dr. David Egleston)
- Business Administration
- Digital Business and Management
- International Business
Electrical Engineering and Computing Department (Chair: Dr. Muhieddin Amer)
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department (Chair: Dr. Ghalib Kahwaji)
Science and Liberal Arts Department