Mission Statements for Business and Management Programs
The Finance program prepares graduates to lead businesses and financial institutions in an ever-changing financial and technological environment. Through high quality teaching that enhances critical thinking and decision making skills, RIT Dubai Finance graduates will have the expertise in risk management, valuation of assets and investment, Financial markets and institutions and will be the drivers of value creation in Dubai, the UAE, and the world.
The mission of the International Business program is to provide students a deep understanding of the complex global challenges related to cultural, legal, political, ethical and governmental issues and business practices to prepare students to succeed in the global business environment.
The mission of the marketing department is to prepare students to drive profitable revenues with contextually-appropriate decisions regarding targeting, positioning, pricing, product, promotion and place.
The Management Program at RIT-Dubai delivers world-class education that prepares students to lead and motivate their employees to achieve high levels of productivity, to innovate, and to create competitive advantage for businesses in the United Arab Emirates, MENA, and the world.
Business and Management Program Goals
These are the program goals for the business core which is common to all business and management students:
- Analytical and Critical Skills: Analyze and evaluate major business issues to make and communicate effective decisions.
- Analyze a business problem using one or more theory-based frameworks.
- Interpret data using quantitative methods.
- Communicate a solution to a business problem and the reasoning behind it.
- For a substantive ethical business issue, propose a sustainable course of action that considers the interest of primary stakeholders.
- Applied Focus: Learn course concepts and theories through application and practice.
- Apply course concepts effectively in a real organizational setting.
- Successfully complete hands-on business related projects.
- Work effectively with others and in teams.
- Demonstrate how global cultures and institutions impact businesses.
- Creative Problem Solving: Generate a creative solution to a business problem or opportunity through the application of design thinking.
- Demonstrate a process for generating a creative solution.
- Demonstrate the use of design thinking to arrive at a creative solution.
- Evaluate alternative solutions.
- Technology: Apply business technology and explain its implications.
- Explain the impact of technology on business operations.
- Apply business technology to solve a problem.
- Develop a strategy that includes technological innovation.
The following goals are unique to Management:
- Goal # 5: Motivational Concepts and Models
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts and models that managers use to motivate employees.
- Demonstrates awareness of motivation concepts and models.
- Demonstrates sufficient knowledge of how motivation models are applied by managers to improve organizational performance.
- Goal # 6: Leadership Concepts and Models
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts and models that managers use to lead individuals, groups, and cultures.
- Demonstrates awareness of leadership concepts and models.
- Demonstrates sufficient knowledge of how leadership models are applied to improve organizational performance.
The following goals are unique to Finance:
- Goal # 5: Cash Flows, Risk and Value
- Possess knowledge concerning cash flow, risk and value in finance in various contexts and be able to apply financial models concerning them.
- Be able to compute risk measures for financial securities (e.g., bonds and stocks).
- Be able to conduct analysis on risk-related issues (e.g., compute risk-adjusted performance measures).
- Be able to evaluate financial securities using cash flow-based valuation models.
- Goal # 6: Global Issues:
- Possess an understanding of how the global environment affects financial practices.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the global macro environment (e.g. role of institutions such as central banks or IMFs, structure of global financial markets, including currency markets).
- Explain how the macro environment, especially currency markets, influences corporations.
The following goals are unique to International Business:
- Goal # 5: Global Environment
- Demonstrate the capability of understanding and analyzing the institutional environment of different countries (e.g., financial environment, regulatory environment, political environment, and labor environment).
- Demonstrates awareness of relevant concepts and frameworks describing the institutional environment of different countries.
- Demonstrates sufficient knowledge of financial, regulatory, political, and labor environments.
- Goal # 6: Global Fundamental Elements
- Understand the fundamental elements of global business, e.g., trade, Foreign Direct Investment, foreign exchange, and regional integration.
- Demonstrates awareness of fundamental elements of global business.
- Demonstrates sufficient knowledge of how fundamental elements of global business differ across countries.
The following goals are unique to Marketing:
- Goal # 5: Understanding of the consumer buying process.
- Describe the consumer buying process
- Goal # 6: Demonstrate an understanding of the process of segmenting markets, choosing a target market and describing it using demographic and psychographic variables.
- Describe the process of segmenting target markets
- Choose a target Market
- Describe a target market using demographic and psychographic variables
- Goal # 7: Understanding of marketing research, key marketing metrics and their use in marketing strategy.
- Describe marketing research, key marketing metrics, and their use in marketing strategy
- Goal # 8: Ability to develop a comprehensive marketing plan.
- Develop a comprehensive marketing plan