You should apply to RIT as a freshman if you are currently in secondary school or have graduated from secondary school but have not yet attended college.
There really is no typical RIT student in terms of background, beliefs, or interests. RIT has a very diverse student body. However, that is not to say that RIT is for everybody. The most successful RIT students have a positive attitude toward learning, the desire to get involved in campus life, and a significant interest in developing professional potential. All students should have followed a strong college preparatory program in their post secondary education.
Freshman Application Checklist
- Complete and submit/sign your application
- Pay the $65 application fee
- Secondary School Transcripts Request and Midyear Report forms submitted to your school counselor. School counselor recommendation is part of this form.
- RIT invites students to provide self-reported standardized test scores (ACT, SAT, TOEFL, IELTS). Students may self-report their scores in the following ways:
- On their application for admission
- From your school/college counselor via mail or email
(Admitted students will be required to submit their official scores once they choose to enroll at RIT)
- Request your official standardized test scores be sent to RIT. SAT I (send to college code 2760) or ACT (send to college code 2870)
- Art Portfolio (required for admission into School of Art and School of Design)