How to Apply

When should I apply for admission?
Admission to RIT is competitive, but our admissions process is a personal one. International applications are considered on a rolling basis. However, it is best to apply well in advance of the semester you are interested in beginning your studies. It is recommended you apply:

  • by January 15 for fall semester (late August)
  • by November 1 for spring semester (late January)
  • by January 15 for summer term (early June)

Back to top

How do I apply for admission?

  • Complete RIT's online application, the Common Application, the Universal Application, OR send in the International Application for Admission

  • An application fee of $USD 60

  • Send originals or certified copies of all academic documents (transcripts, mark sheets, degree certificates, diplomas, examination results such as the SAT, ACT, TOEFL, PTE Academic, IELTS)

  • Send a declaration of financial support - a letter from your sponsor indicating the actual amount available for your support in US dollars (or equivalent) per year AND an original bank document showing exact dollar amounts available for your first year of study.  The U.S. dollar amount for applicants for the fall 2017 semester must total at least $55,000.  Please refer to the cost of attendance for RIT undergraduate students. 

  • Applicants who have already enrolled in a college/university/polytechnic are considered transfer applicants and must send official transcripts or mark sheets from all post-secondary institutions attended, including "A" and “AS” level results if applicable. Those who have completed less than one year of full-time university study must also submit official secondary school results. Descriptions of courses taken as found in the university catalogue must be sent (in English) to be considered for transfer credit.

  • Applicants to programs in the School of Art, Design or American Crafts must submit a portfolio. Transfer applicants to the School of Photographic Arts and Sciences who have taken photography courses must also submit examples of their work through a portfolio. Click here to learn more about Portfolio guidelines.

Back to top

What exams do I need to take?  
Students whose native language is not English must submit results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), PTE Academic or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). All admitted students scoring in a conditional admission range will be tested by RIT's English Language Center upon arrival at RIT. The results of this testing will determine if English instruction for non-native speakers will be required before a student may begin academic courses. RIT also offers conditional admission where students can integrate English Language studies with their academic program.

Test Type
Minimum Score for
Admission Consideration
Score for Conditional
Admission Consideration
Internet Based TOEFL (iBT)
60 - 78
Paper Based TOEFL
500 - 547
PTE Academic
44 - 57

Note: When completing the information for the TOEFL score report, please include RIT's institutional code of 2760 so that your scores arrive at RIT's Admissions Office.

TOEFL/PTE Academic/IELTS is not required for applicants from the following countries (SAT/ACT is required for freshman applicants from these countries):






New Zealand





Grand Cayman Islands

Papua New Guinea

United Kingdom


Sierra Leone

USA, except Puerto Rico


St. Kitt & Nevis

Virgin Islands

Irish Republic

St. Lucia



St. Vincent & Grenadines


Canada, except Quebec




Commonwealth Caribbean




Back to top

How can I qualify for scholarships or financial assistance?  
International scholarships will be awarded to highly qualified freshman and transfer applicants. All applicants are considered for merit scholarships, which are renewable with a 2.5 or higher RIT grade point average. Freshman international applicants are strongly encouraged to submit SAT or ACT results for review. Merit-based scholarship awards are only offered upon admission to RIT. 

RIT offers need-based scholarships for international undergraduate students.  To apply, students must complete the College Board International Student Financial Aid Application and submit to RIT.

An International Student Scholarship (if awarded) may be based on merit, need or a combination of both.  Full tuition scholarships are not available. 

Back to top

What do I need to do to receive an I-20 to apply for a student visa?  
If you have completed your most recent studies outside of the US and have demonstrated adequate resources to cover the entire cost of attending RIT, an I-20 will be sent with your acceptance letter.

Students who are awarded merit or need-based scholarships may use scholarships awarded as part of the documentation of support. The total support, which may include the merit or need-based scholarships if applicable, must total at least $55,000 USD in order for RIT to issue the I-20 or DS-2019 forms necessary to apply for a student visa.

If you will begin your studies at RIT within 5 months of attending a US secondary school, college or university, you will be asked to complete a SEVIS Transfer form with the assistance of your International Counselor.

Once we receive the SEVIS Transfer form, an acceptable Declaration of Financial Support and bank documentation, and you have sent RIT a non-refundable $300 enrollment deposit, your SEVIS record will be transferred from your previous school to RIT and an I-20 will be sent to you.

Back to top

What do Canadian applicants need to know?  
Canadian applicants should also follow the instructions above. However, Canadian applicants can apply for other forms of need-based financial aid (grants and work study) offered by RIT. It is not necessary for Canadian applicants to submit a Declaration of Financial support with their initial application. Upon acceptance, a Financial Aid application for Canadian Students will be sent to you. Once this is completed and returned to RIT, you will be considered for financial aid. Once your financial aid package has been awarded, you will need to submit a Declaration of Financial Support and bank documentation showing adequate funding for the difference between the total cost of attendance for one year and your financial aid award. Once this financial documentation has been provided, an I-20 will be issued to you.

Back to top

What resources are available for International Students?

Educational Advising Centers are available throughout the world to assist you with the application process, to help prepare you for standardized tests, and to address your questions about studying in another country.

Back to top

Contact Us

If you have already submitted your application and have specific questions, please contact an International Admissions Counselor.

Mariah McLane Giardino Academic programs: Art, Business, Crafts, Design, Film & Animation, Liberal Arts, Media Arts & Technology, Multidisciplinary Studies, Photographic Arts & Sciences, University Studies
SueLynn Hauer Academic programs: Computing & Information Sciences (excl. Computer Science), Health Science & Technology, Interactive Games & Media, Software Engineering
Mark M. Muenzer Academic programs: Computer Science, Engineering (Biomedical, Chemical, Mechanical), Engineering Technology, Environmental Sustainability, Health & Safety, International Hospitality & Service Management, Packaging Science
Abhi Somaskanda Academic programs: Biological and Life Sciences, Chemistry, Engineering (Computer, Electrical, Exploration, Industrial, Microelectronic), Imaging Science, Mathematical Sciences, Physics