Alumni Career Webinar
6 Seconds to Success: Tips To Get Your Resume Noticed
According to a recent study by The Ladders, recruiters now spend only about 6 seconds reviewing a resume. Join us for this interactive webinar to get tips to make your resume stand out from the competition, get the attention of hiring managers in your targeted field, and make it past 6 seconds!
Career Toolkit – Mini-Webinars on Job Search Topics
Maximize your knowledge with a minimum time commitment!
- Career Services Orientation
Learn about the career services and programs available to RIT alumni, including our Handshake job listing system. Recording Transcript
- Unstick Your Career
Unsure where to go with a career transition? Get information on self-assessment and career search resources to help move you forward into your next career. Recording Transcript
Become familiar with and learn how to optimize your experience on our new job and career management system Handshake. Recording Transcript
- Alumni: How to Work a Career Fair – at RIT or Anywhere
Guidelines and tips for approaching recruiters, selling your skills effectively, using resources to plan your strategy and research attending employers, and making connections that will lead to future success. Recording Transcript
- Maximize Your Job Search
Tips and resources to help you conduct an effective job search. Recording; Transcript
Experts Career Speaker Series
Expert speakers share job search and career management advice through webinars; listen live or access the archived recordings at any time. Visit the website to register and access the webinars - www.alumnicareerservices.org/rit.
Here are a few upcoming webinars (see the website for the complete list of upcoming and archived webinars):
The Simple Art of LinkedIn, Wednesday Oct 4, 8-9 pm EST.
Joseph Lewis will help you understand how to make your LinkedIn profile work for you! You will take away a better understanding of:
- What hiring managers are looking for in your profile
- What fields and information you need to update in your profile that will increase your visibility
- How to use your LinkedIn profile to promote your “thought leadership.
- Simple techniques to market yourself with your LinkedIn profile
Joe will also share Do’s and Don’ts associated with the successful use of LinkedIn for your job search. Join Joe to learn in 60 minutes what it would have taken you years of trial and error!
The Motivated Networker: A Proven System to Leverage Your Network! Wednesday Nov 1, 8-9 pm EST.
Brian E. Howard has developed a proven system to help you develop a professional network quickly. You will take away from this presentation the confidence that you can immediately build a support team that will keep their eyes open and ears listening for jobs that fit your qualifications! You will:
- How to leverage your network to find hidden jobs
- Communicate to your network and keep them working for you
- Increase the odds of turning an interview to an offer by leveraging your networks influence
Your investment in attending Brian’s presentation has the potential to pay off handsomely for you! Join Brian and learn the easy way of getting interviews and job offers by intelligently building and leveraging your personal and professional network.
Pitch Perfect: How to Say it Right, the First Time, Every Time. Wednesday Nov 15, 8-9 pm EST.
Join Bill McGowan for an informative career discussion where you will learn:
- How to craft just the right message, at the right time, to the right audience
- Bill’s Seven Principles of Persuasion, which are as easy to learn, implement, and master as they are effective
- How the right language—both verbal and nonverbal—can make you more confident, persuasive, and certain
With Bill’s formulas, principles and a little extra work on your part, you will be able to create messages that will stir people to listen closely to your every word and to remember you long after you’ve left the room! Join Bill in his fast-paced career discussion and learn how to master one of the most important soft skills you will need.
HIRED! Interview Success: How to Prepare, Perform and Follow Up, Wednesday Dec 6, 8-9 pm EST.
Sam Waterfall is going to pack his book 'Essential Guide' into 60 minutes so you can take away the key points you need right now in order to get interviews that will lead to job offers. It’s a little-known fact, but it can take as many as eight interviews to get a job offer. You don’t have time for that! Sam will share his Obv!ous® Cand!date system with you so you will stand out in a busy hiring managers mind so you make his or her short list before you walk out the door.
You will take away proven methods to get interviews, conduct yourself in interviews, and close to ask for the job. Join Sam to pick up the quick tips and, the proven strategies, and that will help you get job offers before you walk out the door!
Alumni Blog – Career and job search articles with tips, suggestions and resources for your search
- One-on-one advising, individualized to your interests and job search or career transition needs, including marketing materials review (resume, cover letter, portfolio), interviewing skills, job search strategy, and resources for your search. Schedule an appointment with the Career Services Coordinator for your field, by phone, in person, or Skype. Call 585-475-2301 to make an appointment
- Career Counseling for alumni in transition; our counselors can provide assessment testing and review, and provide support for a career change. Call 585-475-2301 to schedule an appointment with one of our Career Counselors.
- Personalized Career Coaching, with one of our professional community coaches. This fee-based service is available to all RIT alumni; work one-on-one with a coach to define your career goals and a plan to move you toward career success.
- Want a quick overview of our alumni career services?
You can RSVP for programs two ways: directly through Handshake (account needed) or by emailing Kris Stehler (email@example.com).
Handshake RSVP instructions: Login toHandshake/click on the Events link on the top toolbar/Workshop tab/select title of session/click on the RSVP button.
If you require interpreting services email Kris Stehler (firstname.lastname@example.org).