Visual Communication Design MFA
By fully understanding the importance of the user experience and the various aspects of digital design, your work can fuel technological innovation.
- Master of Fine Arts
- Approximately 104 students are in this program
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Co-op is optional for this program
- Minimum co-op requirement: N/A
- Co-op availability: Second Year summer through Fourth Year fall
Salary InformationCo-op: $24.95 $15.00 - $45.00
Student Skills & CapabilitiesThe MFA in visual communication design provides a learning environment for advancement in innovative research, user-centered design, and professional practice focusing on the creative potentials of visual communication through a full spectrum of media.
Communication Design: corporate identity and branding, typography, information design, environmental graphic design, packaging design
Interaction Design: user interface design, user experience design, 2D game design, web & mobile design, responsive design
Motion and 3D Digital Design: motion graphics, broadcast design, 3D modeling, animation and visualization
Software: Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, CINEMA 4D, Xparticles, Unity
Equipment & FacilitiesStudents work in dedicated graduate computer labs and studio spaces. The program provides an opportunity to use, learn, and understand the various types of specialized software and processes for building design solutions for a wide range of digital outputs from mobile, web to AR and VR.
3D Artist/Visualizer, Graphic Designer, Interaction Designer, Motion Graphics Designer, Product Designer, Design Analyst, Simulations Engineer, UI/UX Designer, UX Specialist, Visual Designer
- Named by Business Week as one of the Top 10 Design Schools in the country and one of the Top 40 in the world, RIT's Design School is also highly ranked by U.S. News and World Report and Design Intelligence.
- According to Business Insider, RIT ranks (#11) in The World’s 25 Best Design Schools.
- Recent Visual Communication Design alumni are lead designers at Microsoft, Adobe, Google, Oracle and numerous digital design agencies.
Selected Employer Hiring Partners
Ahold Delhaize, BlueJeans Network, Bose Corporation, Calvary Robotics, Cricut, Dow Jones & Co., Eastman Kodak Company, eBay Inc., GE Appliances, a Haier Company, Google, Inc., Highmark Health, Houzz, Microsoft, Mindshare, REDCOM Laboratories, Inc., Siemens Corporation, The Walt Disney Company, TuneIn, Victory Hill Exhibitions, VOX Global
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Gretchen Burruto, the career services coordinator who works with the New Media Design program. Access information about services through our site at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603