Applied Statistics and Actuarial Science BS
Using calculus, statistics, algebra, and computer science, statisticians apply their knowledge of statistical methods—the collection, processing, and analysis of data and its interpretation—to a variety of areas, including biology, economics, engineering, medicine, public health, psychology, marketing, and sports.
Learn more about this program through RIT's program page https://www.rit.edu/study/applied-statistics-and-actuarial-science-bs
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 39 students are enrolled in this program
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Co-op is optional for this program
- Minimum co-op requirement: N/A
- Co-op availability: second-year summer through fourth-year spring
Salary InformationCo-op: $20.40 $15.00 - $27.00
Student Skills & Capabilities
- Data analysis, simple and multiple regression analysis, interpretation and presentation of data, problem solving, experimental design, survey sampling, quality control methodologies, statistical inference and statistical modeling.
- Computer Skills- Software: SAS, R, SPSS, Minitab, LaTeX Programming Languages: Python, Java, C (dependent upon course sequence selected by student)
Equipment & Facilities
Students have access to programming, statistical and simulation languages, graphics software and design tools on a variety of platforms. Symbolic computation and statistical laboratories are also available.
Data Analyst, Contract Compliance Coordinator, Actuarial Analyst, Data Scientist
- Foundation in mathematical and statistical methodology, experience in applications, background in using statistical computing packages, and skills to communicate results of statistical analysis.
- The actuary degree is an advantage in the fields of business, government, and industry.
- Collaborate to design and conduct experiments and interpret the results.
- Application areas include product design, biostatistics, actuarial science, quality control, and statistical forecasting.
Selected Employer Hiring Partners
Butler/Till, Freehold Capital Management, Excellus Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Census Bureau, Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals
We appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Kris Stehler, the career services coordinator who works with the Applied Statistics and Actuarial Science program. For your convenience, you can access information and services through our web site at www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603