Computing Security MS
Develop a solid foundation in cyber security as you understand how integrated systems are designed and developed, and the leadership skills that are paramount for guiding an industry that’s still exploring its role and impact in society.
- Master of Science
- Approximately 53 students are enrolled
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Co-op is optional for this program
- Minimum co-op requirement: 2 blocks, 15 weeks/semester
- Co-op availability: fall through summer
Salary InformationCo-op: $23.33 $15.00 - $45.00
Student Skills & CapabilitiesStudents work with systems from the threats, exposures and risks, possible through unauthorized access in today’s networked computer environment. They outline and apply appropriate methods and mechanisms that can be used to protect enterprise data to help manage the risk of unauthorized data access, data tampering, or theft. MS students research security issues, synthesize the information, and communicate the results of the research to business and computing professionals, design and analyze basic cryptographic algorithms and protocols, evaluate security mechanisms in terms of their effectiveness, and evaluate ethical controversies and use various decision-making approaches for resolving ethical dilemmas in complex situations.
RIT has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense by National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security since 2006.
Equipment & FacilitiesRIT students have access to hundreds of computers which are distributed over several specialty labs. These labs include: Security Lab, Air-Gap Lab, Networking Lab, the Systems Administration Lab, programming labs and database labs.
Job TitlesDevOps and Security Engineer, Technology Analyst, Cyberphysical Systems Engineer, Incidence Response Consultant, Network Systems Engineer, Security Analyst
- RIT is a top 100 National University: https://www.rit.edu/overview/rankings-and-recognition
- We have a dedicated department for Computing Security, being the first university in the U.S. to offer an academic department devoted entirely to the field (https://csec.rit.edu/),
- inside a dedicated college for Computing and Information Sciences (http://www.rit.edu/gccis/)
- We are designated a Center of Academic Excellence in both Research and Education by NSA/DHS: http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=62888&source=enewsletter
- We have a dedicated Center for Cybersecurity which partners with industry leaders to understand cybersecurity needs and serves as a hub for various research projects: https://www.rit.edu/cybersecurity/
- The Center has major RIT support (over $2M): https://www.rit.edu/showcase/index.php?id=342
- RIT just received a $50M gift, of which $20M goes to cybersecurity: http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=65352
- We created the Collegiate Penetration Testing Competition and now host the National event (NCPTC): http://www.nationalcptc.org/
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersGreyCastle Security, JPMorgan Chase, Kodak Alaris, MITRE, National Security Agency, Oracle America, Raytheon, Securonix, Veritas Technologies, LLC, Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Access information about services at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Beth Toushaent, Career Services Coordinator
Rochester Institute of Technology. Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center 57 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester NY 14623-5603