Advertising and Public Relations BS
In the advertising and public relations degree you’ll be prepared to create persuasive messages for a variety of traditional and emerging media platforms, including social media. Analyze audiences, write copy, select media platforms, and manage campaigns. The degree combines courses in communication, advertising, public relations, and marketing to prepare you for the overlapping roles of advertising and public relations professionals.
The fields of advertising and public relations are rapidly changing now that the Internet and mobile devices like smart phones and tablets have influenced the way professionals create messages. Unique opportunities and exciting challenges lie ahead in the advertising and public relations field. The major combines advertising, public relations, and marketing to address the overlapping roles of communication professionals.
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 40 students are enrolled in this program
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Co-op is mandatory for this program.
- Minimum co-op requirement: 1 block, 12 weeks/semester
- Co-op availability: second-year summer through fourth-year fall
Salary InformationCo-op: $12.86 $9.70 - $18.00
Student Skills & Capabilities
Students have capabilities and understandings of:
- Spoken, written, visual, and mediated communication.
- Conducting quantitative and qualitative research, and statistical analyses.
- Writing speeches, news releases, advertising copy, newsletters, feature articles, and managing various digital and social media platforms.
- Designing layouts for newsletters, brochures, and other print materials through knowledge of the Adobe Suite
- Creating campaigns for public relations and advertising
Job TitlesCopywriter, Media Planner, Account Executive, Public Relations Specialist, Strategist, Marketing Coordinator, Marketing Communication Specialist, Social Media Specialist
- Students complete a professional core, equivalent to four courses in Marketing through the RIT Saunders College of Business
- This core, combined with their program courses, gives students an understanding of the role of advertising and public relations in the overall marketing process.
- Students are also taught basic graphic design skills through a sequence of visual communication courses.
- All students have a working knowledge of the Adobe Suite programs.
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersABVI-Goodwill, BBDO NY, Clear Channel NY, Darien Lake Theme Park and Resort, Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield, Fisher Associates, Rochester Business Journal, Osram Sylvania, Roberts Communication, the Sportsman Channel, Terakeet Corporation, LM&O Advertising, URMC, RIT, Unity Hospital, HubShout, Nikalabs Digital Agency
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Taylor Lincoln, the career services coordinator who works with the Advertising & Public Relations program. You can access information about services through our web site at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603