Advertising and Public Relations BS
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 80 students are enrolled in the Advertising & Public Relations program.
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Students are required to complete one co-op work assignment.
Salary InformationCo-op: $12.65 $9.00 - $21.00
Student Skills & Capabilities
· All students will have completed a basic sequence in spoken, written, visual, and mediated communication.
· All are capable of conducting quantitative and qualitative research as well as statistical analyses.
· All are experienced writers and speakers, capable of writing speeches, news releases, advertising copy, newsletters, and feature articles, as well as managing various digital and social media platforms.
· All are capable of designing layouts for newsletters, brochures, and other print materials.
· All are experienced in the process of creating plans and campaigns for public relations and advertising initiatives.
Students complete a professional core, equivalent to four courses in Marketing through the RIT Saunders College of Business. This core, combined with their program courses, gives students an understanding of the role of advertising and public relations in the overall marketing process. Students are also taught basic graphic design skills through a sequence of visual communication courses. All students have working knowledge of the Adobe Suite programs.
Training / QualificationsInternships are one way for students to get experience in the field and prepare themselves for entry-level positions. Some employers prefer candidates that have experience communicating with others through a school newspaper or a leadership position in school or in their community. Portfolios are not always qualifications when applying for a job or internship, however, students majoring in Advertising and Public Relations will be able to use the work they produce from their courses to compile a portfolio to share with potential employers if requested.
Job TitlesCopywriter, Media Planner, Account Executive, Public Relations Specialist, Strategist, Marketing Coordinator, Marketing Communication Specialist, Social Media Specialist.
- Keen competition for jobs is expected.
- College graduates with related experience, a high level of creativity, and strong communication skills should have the best job opportunities.
- High earnings, substantial travel, and long hours, including evenings and weekends, are common. (Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics O.O.H.)
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersABVI-Goodwill, BBDO NY, Clear Channel NY, Darien Lake Theme Park and Resort, Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield, Fisher Associates, Rochester Business Journal, Osram Sylvania, Roberts Communication, the Sportsman Channel, Terakeet Corporation, LM&O Advertising, URMC, RIT, Unity Hospital, HubShout, Nikalabs Digital Agency.
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Taylor Lincoln, the career services coordinator who works with the Advertising & Public Relations program. You can access information about services through our web site at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603