Computing Security BS
Preserve information assets, identify computer security vulnerabilities, and understand the forensics needed to prove an attack occurred, from identifying its origin and assessing the extent of the damage to designing strategies that ensure data recovery.
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 425 students are enrolled in this program
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Co-op is Mandatory for this program.
- Minimum co-op requirement: 2 blocks, 15 per semester
- Co-op availability: Second Year summer through Fourth Year summer-fall block
Salary InformationCo-op: $22.64 $9.37 - $50.63
Student Skills & CapabilitiesBasic computer and network security awareness as well as exposure to security policy and legal issues. Strong programming skills in languages including Scripting, Python, Java, C/C++. Direct experience in a variety of computing environments on multiple platforms. Basic system administration functions. Focused specialty areas such as System & Network Security, Digital Forensics, Malware Analysis, Security Software Development, and Database Security.
RIT has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education and Research by National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security.
Equipment & FacilitiesRIT students have access to hundreds of computers which are distributed over several specialty labs. These labs include: Security Lab, Air-Gap Lab, Networking Lab, the Systems Administration Lab, programming labs and database labs.
Job TitlesComputer Security Analyst, Cyber Security Engineer, Information Security Analyst, Junior Security Engineer, Malware Analyst, Network Engineer, Security Analyst, Site Reliability Engineer, Systems Engineer, Digital Forensics Analyst
- RIT is a top 100 National University: https://www.rit.edu/overview/rankings-and-recognition,
- with a dedicated department for Computing Security, being the first university in the U.S. to offer an academic department devoted entirely to the field (https://csec.rit.edu/),
- inside a dedicated college for Computing and Information Sciences (http://www.rit.edu/gccis/).
- Our department is designated as a Center of Academic Excellence in both Research and Education by National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security: http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=62888&source=enewsletter.
- RIT boasts a dedicated Center for Cybersecurity which partners with industry leaders to understand cybersecurity needs and serves as a hub for various research projects: https://www.rit.edu/cybersecurity/.
- The Center has major RIT support-(over $2M): https://www.rit.edu/showcase/index.php?id=342 RIT just received a $50M gift, of which $20M goes to cybersecurity: http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=65352.
- Our department created the Collegiate Penetration Testing Competition and now hosts the National event (NCPTC): http://www.nationalcptc.org/
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersApple, Bank of America, Cisco, CIA, Eaton Corporation, FBI, IBM Corporation, Indeed.com, Intuit, JPMorgan Chase, Juniper Networks, Lockheed Martin, Mitre Corporation, National Security Agency, Parsons, Paychex, Raytheon, RedHat, Ultimate Software, Symantec Corporation, Wegmans
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Access information about services at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
(A - K) Michelle Magee, Senior Associate Director
(L - Z) Stephanie Ryan, Career Services Coordinator
Rochester Institute of Technology. Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center 57 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester NY 14623-5603