Biomedical Engineering BS
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 50 students per year
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Undergraduate students are required to complete 50 weeks of co-op work assignments across two semesters and up to three summers beginning at the completion of their second year of study.
Salary InformationCoop: $15.93 $8.00-$24.00
Student Skills & CapabilitiesStudents will be educated to do the following:
· Understandandquantifytheinherentdegreeofvariabilityinhumanbiologyviaathreecoursesequenceinstatisticalanalysisincludingdesignof experiments
· Solve engineering problems by drawing on core science and lab training, including chemistry, physics, cell and molecular biology, biocompatibility, anatomy andphysiology.
· Examinehumanbiologyandphysiology onavarietyoflengthscales,andsolveproblemswiththeappropriatelevelofcomplexity.
· Utilize a systems methodology: Break down complex biomedical problems or systems into fundamental pieces, analyze the pieces, and assess the interactions.
· Interpret resultsofclinical studiesandtranslatethemintermsofengineeringdesignconstraints.
Rochester Institute of Technology is fully accredited by the Middle States Association (MSA) of Colleges. The Biomedical Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
Equipment & FacilitiesThe BME program has a strong emphasis on experiential learning. The department has specialized laboratories with sophisticated technology for teaching and research. These labs include:
Bioexperiment Preparation Lab, Microfluidics, Materials & Cell Dynamics Lab, Cell Culture, 3D printing, micro fabrication, High Performance Computing and Visualization Lab, Biomedical Signal & Imaging Analysis Lab, Student Projects Lab, Fabrication Lab, Integrated Neuroimaging (INI) Lab, Biomedical Modeling, Visualization & Image-guided Navigation Lab, Biomedical Instrumentation & Measurement Lab, Microscale Bioseparations Lab, The Biomimetic & Assistive Devices Lab, Microfluidics Fabrication Lab, Microscopy Lab, NanoBio Device Lab, Biological Microsystems Lab, and Computer Teaching Lab
Training / QualificationsBiomedical engineers typically need a bachelor’s degree in biomedical engineering from an accredited program to enter the occupation. Alternatively, they can get a bachelor’s degree in a different field of engineering and then either get a graduate degree in biomedical engineering or get on-the-job training in biomedical engineering.
Job TitlesBiomedical Technician, Biomedical Equipment Technician (BMET), Biomedical Engineer, Biomedical Electronics Technician, Biomedical Engineering Technician, Research Engineer, Professor, Biomedical Engineering Director, Biomedical Manager, Clinical Engineer
EmploymentBiomedical engineers held about 22,100 jobs in 2014. They work in a variety of settings, depending on the work they do. The industries that employed the most biomedical engineers in 2014 were as follows:
· Medical equipment and supplies manufacturing
· Scientific research and development services
· Pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing
· Colleges, universities, and professional schools; state, local, and private
· General medical and surgical hospitals; state, local, and private (Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics O.O.H.)
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersAlkermes, Baxter, Bayer Health Care, Bio-Chem Fluidics, Blackbox Biometrics, Bristol-Myers Squibb, ConMed Corp, Greatbatch Medical, GuidePoint Labs, Integrated Nano Technologies, Johnson and Johnson – Janssen, LSI Solutions, National Institute of Standards & Technology, Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, Regeneron, Roswell Park, Sanofi Pasteur, Strain Measurement Devices, Stryker, Vaccinex, Welch Allyn, Zimmer Biomet
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Annette Stewart, the career services coordinator who works with the Biomedical Engineering program. Access information about services at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603