Electrical Engineering Technology BS
The BS in electrical engineering technology provides students with a foundation in circuits, analog, and digital electronics, physics, and calculus. The third and fourth years expand on fundamental courses with more advanced courses in advanced circuits and electronics, transform methods, control systems, analog, and digital electronics, and applied differential equations. Students are able to choose from multiple electives to round out their degree. Electives include sequences in power systems, electronic communications, embedded systems, telecommunications, networking, and optics. Electives are also available in other technical disciplines, and the student’s academic adviser can assist in determining the best choices to meet career goals and objectives. The major provides a viable option for students who have already completed an associate degree and wish to complete a bachelor of science degree.
- Bachelor of Science Degree (5 year program)
- Approximately 125 students enrolled in this program.
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Co-op is mandatory for this program
- Minimum co-op requirement: 4 blocks, 2 summers and 2 semester
- Co-op availability: Third-year spring-summer block; fourth-year summer-fall block; fifth-year summer-fall block
Salary InformationCo-op: $18.75 $13.50 - $29.00
Student Skills & Capabilities
- Students learn fundamental and advanced concepts in electrical engineering and apply these concepts to design new electrical and electronic systems and improve existing ones. Advanced design software, development methods, and troubleshooting techniques are tools students master as they progress through the curriculum.
- Students work with state-of-the-art equipment in sophisticated labs that allow for significant hands-on experience. Students complete a minimum of 14 laboratory-based courses within the Electrical, Computer & Telecommunications Engineering Technology Department.
- In their last year at RIT, students take part in a Senior Design Project through the Excellence in Innovation (EII) program. Projects include new product development, product improvement, system or project analysis, and code compliance. These projects are guided by a faculty member and use state-of-the-art laboratory and computer facilities.
- Computer Skills: C++, Python, object oriented programming, PSPICE, MATLAB, VHDL, Digital Signal Processing.
AccreditationThe Electrical Engineering Technology program is accredited by the Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Equipment & FacilitiesCircuits Studio Laboratory
Textronix TDS 3012 Oscilloscope, HP 3000 Series Equipment, GW Instek Power Supply, Weller Solder Station, DC Motor Control Modules
Audio Recording Studio
Used to record and mix audio sessions. DigiDesign Pro Tools HD2, HD Analog I/O, ATB32 Toft Console, DBX 1066 Compressor, Lexicon PCM 92, Alesis ADAT 24
Renewable Energy Lab
Used to design and test solar and hydrogen fuel systems. Dell Optiplex 755 Workstations, HP 33120A Function Generator, HP 33401A Digital Multimeter, Tektronix TDS 3012 Oscilloscope, HP E3631A Power Supply, Agilent 86143B Optical Spectrum Analyzer, Sunpower SPR-225ACPV Solor Panel, ERA 180 Watt Solar Panel, Fuel Cell Trainer, Exphil PSH-6018 Power Supply, Simplex SWIFT-E Load Bank, Rainwise Wind Data Logger.
Textronix TDS 3012 Oscilloscope, HP 3000 Series Equipment, Desktop Computer, Agilent Spectrum Analyzer, HP 8904 Signal Synthesizer, Weller Soldering Station, Labview Software, GW Instek Power Supply
Electronic Design Automation Laboratory
VHDL Development, Digital Simulation Software, Analog Simulation Software, Desktop Computer, Networking, DigiDesign M-Box 2 Pro
Embedded Systems Design Laboratory
Tektronix TLA714 132 Channel Logic Analyzer, Agilent Infinium Oscilloscope, Tektronix Test Equipment, Desktop Computer with Dual Monitors, State-of-the-Art Development Tools
Opto Electronics Laboratory
Tektronix TDS 3012 Oscilloscope, HP 33120A Function Generator, RSR Regulated Power Supply, Printed Circuit Board Prototype Facilities
Job TitlesElectrical Engineer, Design Engineer, Systems Engineer, Rotational Engineer, Research Engineer, Project Engineer, Applications Engineer, Controls Engineer, Test Engineer, Software Engineer.
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersAlstom, Anaren Microwave, Apple, BOSE, Bosch Security System, Cisco, Cummins Engine, D3, Eaton, Emerson, Ford, GE, General Dynamics, General Dynamics, Harris Corp, Honda, Iberdrola, iRobot, ITT, Knorr Bremse, Lockheed Martin, National Grid, Northrup Grumman, SpaceX, TE, Tesla, Texas Instruments, The Raymond Corporation, TIMET, Toyota, Welch Allyn Inc.
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Maria Pagani Wiegand, the career services coordinator who works with the Electrical Engineering Technology program. You can access information about services through our web site at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603