Mechanical Engineering Technology BS
Understand how products and machinery work, as well as how to design, manufacture, or use technology to develop mechanical systems for high-performance automobiles, aerospace systems, bioengineered devices, energy technologies, and more.
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 470 students are enrolled in this program
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Co-op is mandatory for this program.
- Minimum co-op requirement: 4 blocks, 50 weeks
- Co-op availability: third-year spring-summer; fifth-year summer-fall
Salary InformationCo-op: $18.80 $11.00 - $38.45
Student Skills & CapabilitiesStudents work in project-based courses to build skills in problem-solving, creative thinking, and mechanical design: engineering analysis, product design, machine design, CAD/CAM/CAE, stress and failure analysis, mechanical component selection and design.
Technical electives develop a student's depth in areas of product design, robotics, automation, plastics processing, and manufacturing. Students also lead and participate in multidisciplinary engineering teams.
The mechanical engineering technology major is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET.
Equipment & FacilitiesStudents are exposed to state-of-the-art labs that allow practice-based, hands-on experience. Students model, design and fabricate components and assemblies using machining, welding, rapid prototyping, and composite fabrication methods. Testing and evaluation equipment includes metrology, heat-treating furnaces, tensile/compression/shear testing, hardness testers, metallography, strain gauges, wind tunnel, and data acquisition systems.
Programming Languages: SOLIDWORKS, MATLAB, LabView, ANSYS, Rockwell RSLogix 5000
Job TitlesDesign Engineer, HVAC Design Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Quality Engineer, Process Engineer, Assistant Project Manager
- RIT Engineering Technology has the largest number of engineering technology graduates among private universities in the US
- Engineering Technology has the highest percentage of students from Asian- , Latin-, African-, and Native-American ethnic backgrounds as well as first-generation college-students amongst RIT STEM programs
- Accelerated dual degree program available
- Class of 2018; 98+% Career Outcomes Rate
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersQuest Global, Liberty Pumps, Magna International, PPC, a Belden Brand, Bracalente, Precision Castparts Corporation, Honda, GE Aviation, BorgWarner, General Motors, Toyota
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact your career services coordinator who works with the Manufacturing Engineering Technology program. You can access information about services through our web site at http://www.rit.edu/co-op/careers.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603