Mechanical Engineering Technology BS
Mechanical engineering technology involves understanding how products and machinery work and how to design, make or use them. From aerospace systems (rockets, jets, drones) to high-performance automobiles (electric vehicles, autonomous driving), smartphones and robotics, mechanical engineering technology have changed society for the better.
As a mechanical engineering technology student, you will study the foundations of mechanics, materials, and energy. You will learn technical skills such as computer-aided design (CAD), generative design, materials characterization, mechanical system analysis and design, thermal-fluid system design, and product design and development. You will learn to apply these principles and skills to the various fields of mechanical engineering technology--such as product and machine design, power generation, energy management, and advanced manufacturing--through laboratories and design projects. Full-time students gain valuable industrial experience through the required cooperative education program. Students also have the opportunity to select an option in Robotics and Automation.
- Bachelor of Science Degree (5 year)
- Approximately 460 students are enrolled in this program
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Co-op is mandatory for this program.
- Minimum co-op requirement: 50 weeks
- Co-op availability: Third-year spring through summer; fifth-year summer through fall
Salary InformationCo-op: $19.00 $13.00 - $33.45
Student Skills & CapabilitiesProject-based courses build skills in problem solving, creative thinking, and mechanical design: engineering analysis, product design, machine design, CAD/CAM/CAE, stress and failure analysis, mechanical component selection and design. Leading and participating in multidisciplinary engineering teams. Technical electives develop depth in such areas as product design, robotics, automation, plastics processing, and manufacturing.
AccreditationThe Mechanical Engineering technology program is accredited by Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Equipment & Facilities
- State-of-the-art labs allow practice-based, hands-on experience.
- Students model, design and fabricate components and assemblies using machining, welding, rapid prototyping, and composite fabrication methods.
- Testing and evaluation equipment includes metrology, heat treating furnaces, tensile/compression/shear testing, hardness testers, metallography, strain gauges , wind tunnel, and data acquisition systems.
- SOLIDWORKS, MATLAB, LabView, ANSYS, Rockwell RSLogix 5000
Design Engineer, HVAC Design Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Quality Engineer, Process Engineer, Assistant Project Manager
- RIT Engineering Technology has the largest number of engineering technology graduates among private universities in the US
- Engineering Technology has the highest percentage of students from Asian- , Latin-, African-, and Native-American ethnic backgrounds as well as first-generation college-students amongst RIT STEM programs
- Accelerated dual degree program available
- Class of 2018: 98+% Career Outcomes Rate
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersQuest Global, Liberty Pumps, Magna International, PPC, a Belden Brand, Bracalente, Precision Castparts Corporation, Honda, GE Aviation, BorgWarner, General Motors, Toyota,
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Diedra Livingston, the program coordinator who works with the Mechanical Engineering Technology program. You can access information about services through our web site at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603