Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ultrasound) BS
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 40 undergraduate students enrolled.
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Students will participate in a clinical internship at two or more medical facilities. These experiences will help to develop a balanced, well-educated, and competent sonographer.
- Students will gain experience in Abdominal, Small Parts, Obstetrical, and Gynecological Ultrasound and be introduced to Vascular Ultrasound and other specialties such as Neurosonography and Echocardiography.
- This internship will also fulfill a prerequisite for the national qualifying exam administered by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
- This exam is required for all candidates wishing to practice Sonography, both nationally and globally.
Salary Information2016 Median Pay
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition
Student Skills & CapabilitiesThe Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, under a physician's supervision, is responsible for:
- Preparing the patient(s) for the Ultrasound examination
- Selecting the appropriate equipment for the ultrasound examination
- Performing ultrasound examinations that yield important diagnostic information
- Recording and gathering ultrasound data
- Analyzing the data collected and reporting the ultrasound findings to the physician in an
oral and written fashion for diagnosis
- Using independent judgment whether to extend the scope of the ultrasound examination
or not based on the ultrasound findings
- Interacting and collaborating with physicians and other health care professionals for providing a good quality care of the patient
In addition, the Diagnostic Medical Sonographer evaluates new equipment and products for possible future use. He/she also develops new techniques for performing the examinations. The Sonographer also helps surgeons in the operating room to see structures and organs that may be obscured from direct view.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program at RIT is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRCDMS) of the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).It is noteworthy to mention that the program is NOT ONLY institutionally accredited BUT ALSO programmatically accredited. This type of accreditation meets both the professional and employer requirements. It also allows our graduates to immediately sit for the national board examinations administered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) without any delays or further experience.
Equipment & Facilities
Our Program is well-known for its emphasis not only on the didactic aspect but also on the practical (hands-on) and clinical aspect. Consequently, it is imperative that our facilities are up-to-date and are equipped with the necessary equipment and this is highly reflected in our continued efforts and investment in obtaining state-of-the-arts equipment. We are very proud of our state-of-the-art Ultrasound Scanning Suite. This Scanning Suite offers our students the opportunity to apply their theoretical understanding of the fundamentals covered in lecture as well as enhance their ultrasound skills and techniques. This Scanning Suite is operated and run by well-qualified, motivated and helpful faculty members who provide superior and clinically relevant education and hands-on experience to our students prior to their clinical internships.
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersRochester General Health System, Windsong Radiology, Unity Health System, Samaritan Hospital, Borg & Ide Imaging, Women’s Gynecology & Childbirth Associates, University of North Carolina, Bassar Brothers Medical Center, Geneva General Hospital
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Kris Stehler, the career services coordinator who works with the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. You can access information about services through our web site at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603