Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ultrasound) BS
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 40 undergraduate students enrolled in this program
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Students will participate in a clinical internship at two or more medical facilities. These experiences will help to develop a balanced, well-educated, and competent sonographer.
- Students will gain experience in Abdominal, Small Parts, Obstetrical, and Gynecological Ultrasound and be introduced to Vascular Ultrasound and other specialties such as Neurosonography and Echocardiography.
- This internship will also fulfill a prerequisite for the national qualifying exam administered by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
- This exam is required for all candidates wishing to practice Sonography, both nationally and globally.
Salary InformationCo-op: $ID
Student Skills & CapabilitiesThe program provides extensive didactic lectures, full immersion ultrasound scanning in a state-of-the-art Ultrasound Scanning Suite, and a one-year clinical internship. The program combines a strong science education with practical experience and liberal arts course work to prepare students for a career in ultrasound, a related medical field, as well as preparation for graduate study, including medical and dental school. The program emphasizes skills in administration and research, in addition to the development of scanning and diagnostic abilities with a focus on relevancy to clinical practice. This high-quality comprehensive background makes you well-prepared, well-trained, and sought-after in the work place.
AccreditationThe diagnostic medical sonography (ultrasound) program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the JRC-DMS.
Equipment & Facilities
Our Program is well-known for its emphasis not only on the didactic aspect but also on the practical (hands-on) and clinical aspect. Consequently, it is imperative that our facilities are up-to-date and are equipped with the necessary equipment and this is highly reflected in our continued efforts and investment in obtaining state-of-the-arts equipment. We are very proud of our state-of-the-art Ultrasound Scanning Suite. This Scanning Suite offers our students the opportunity to apply their theoretical understanding of the fundamentals covered in lecture as well as enhance their ultrasound skills and techniques. This Scanning Suite is operated and run by well-qualified, motivated and helpful faculty members who provide superior and clinically relevant education and hands-on experience to our students prior to their clinical internships.
Job TitlesSonographer, Ultrasound Generalist, Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Selected Employer Hiring Partners
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Kris Stehler, the career services coordinator who works with the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. You can access information about services through our web site at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center
57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603