Political Science BS
The Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science is unique and innovative. The program tightly integrates the traditional fields of American government and international relations in order to prepare students for a life and a career in an increasingly globalized world. The program incorporates into its curriculum courses in politics and life sciences and information technology. The program focuses on the use of information technology for political organization and communication and the influence of recent advances in biology and biotechnology on how we understand ourselves as human beings and citizens.
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 52 students are enrolled.
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Not required
Salary InformationCo-op: No information available – typically unpaid
Student Skills & CapabilitiesWriting & communications skills, critical thinking, problem recognition, creative problem solving, cooperative analysis, Oxford debating skills.
Scenario planning, decision analysis, legal analysis, data analysis, grand strategy.
Training / QualificationsJobseekers who have earned a bachelor’s degree can benefit from internships or volunteer work when looking for entry-level positions in political science or a related field. Internships can give students a chance to apply their academic knowledge in a professional setting and to develop the analytic, research, and writing skills needed for the field. Jobseekers with a bachelor’s degree in political science usually qualify for entry-level positions in a related field, such as assistants or research assistants for research organizations, political campaigns, or nonprofit organization. They may also qualify for some government positions.
Job TitlesGovernment Affairs Manager, Grant Writer, Political Analyst, Political Lobbyist, Labor Relations Specialist, City Planner, Senate Intern, Military Police, Paralegal.
- • Students may pursue a double major in political science and a secondary area. Students have combined political science with a double major in diverse fields such as computer science, criminal justice, economics, and philosophy.
- • An accelerated 4+1 option is available for students who wish to earn a BS in political science and an MBA. The option is offered in conjunction with Saunders College of Business and allows students to obtain both degrees in five years of study.
- study abroad opportunity enhances student's understanding of global politics and culture. Students may study full time at a variety of host schools and are able to select courses in their major as well as liberal arts courses.
- To learn more about the Study Abroad program, please visit studyabroad.rit.edu.
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersNational Association of the Deaf, U.S. Consular Agency in Genova, Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation, Northeastern Univ, US Senate, Thomas & Solomon, National Guard.
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Lisa Monette, the career services coordinator who works with the Political Science program. You can access information about services through our web site at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center . 57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603