The Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology combines a strong background in Psychology with substantial training in a technical/professional field. This unique mix prepares students to be good problem solvers with strong people skills - ready to enter the careers of the 21st century.
- Bachelor of Science
- Approximately 150 students enrolled in the undergraduate program.
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Students are required to complete one co-op work assignment, ideally during the summer of their 2nd or 3rd years.
Salary InformationCo-op: $11.99 $8.75 - $19.80
Student Skills & Capabilities
- The sequential courses of Scientific Writing, Statistics, and Experimental Psychology foster analytical skills and encourage critical thinking. Psychology students are skilled in collecting, analyzing and interpreting data, and have experience in statistics and experimental design. The breadth component of the curriculum covers the main content areas that typically define the psychology discipline.
- Psychology students possess strong people skills, with good research and writing skills. They are good problem solvers and have a well-developed high level thinking ability when it comes to analyzing, synthesizing and evaluating information.
- Students choose two of the following interdisciplinary tracks: biopsychology, clinical psychology, cognitive psychology, social psychology, or visual perception.
Training / QualificationsWork experience often is needed for someone to become a Social Service Manager, and is essential for those wishing to enter the occupation with a bachelor’s degree. The licensure or certification criteria for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors outside of private practice vary from state to state. Many psychology students go on to graduate school.
Job TitlesCase Worker, Drug/Substance Abuse Counselor, Behavioral Disorder Counselors, Social Service Manager, Child Protection Worker, Counselor, Research Associate, Clinical Program Manager, Client Services, HR Analyst, Market Associate, Recruiter.
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersHewlett-Packard, Compeer, RIT, Boystown Research Hospital, Kodak (Human Factors Lab), Stepping Stones Learning Center, NIH, US Census Bureau, Strong Memorial Hospital, Greater Rochester Orthopedics, Glasgow Caledonian University (UK), University of Texas at Austin, Rochester Police Department, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Rochester Psychiatric Center, US Dept. of Labor, Sherwin Williams, Enterprise Holdings.
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Feel free to contact Lisa Monette, the career services coordinator who works with the Psychology program. You can access information about services through our web site at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Rochester Institute of Technology . Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center . 57 Lomb Memorial Drive . Rochester NY 14623-5603