by Rashmi Jeswani, Information Sciences and Technologies MS student
RIT and the Office of the Registrar provide each student, faculty, staff, and alumni with a University ID card. The ID cards are used by Dining Services, University Housing, Student Life Center, and the Wallace Library. The Office offers new students, faculty, staff, and alumni the ability to upload their own photo for identification. Individuals who already have a photo on file who require an updated photo may come to the Office of the Registrar to have a new photo taken.
Through the RIT Online Photo Submission, you are able to upload a photo that will display in the following locations:
- Student Information System (SIS)
- RIT ID Card
- Starfish Early Alert
Your student ID is your ticket to saving money on everyday costs, big-ticket items, and so much more! I’d like to provide you with my top picks for the most useful perks of having a student ID.
- BJ’s Membership – show your RIT ID at the Henrietta BJ’s and it will serve as a membership card. Not only do they have great deals on their items in-store, but on top of that, they have some of the cheapest gas in Rochester for members!
- Amazon Prime Student – As a student, you will pay just $59 per year (compared to $119 per year) + 6 months completely free!
- Spotify AND Hulu – $4.99/month for both Spotify and Hulu
- Sponsor a friend or family member at RIT’s gym – If you have a friend or family member who would like to use RIT’s recreation facilities, check out the different guest passes and memberships offered: https://www.rit.edu/~w-criw/membership.php
Food (at participating locations)
- Dunkin Donuts – 10% off
- Chipotle – Free drink!
- Pi Craft – 10% off on Tuesdays
- Subway – 10% off or a free cookie
- Qdoba – $5 burrito meal OR free drink
- Dairy Queen – 10% off
- Chick-fil-a – Free drink!
- TCBY – 15% off
- McDonald’s – 10% off
- Burger King – 10% off
- Taco Bell – 10% off
- Arby’s – 10% off
- Papa John’s – 10-20% off
- Domino’s – 10-20% off
- Denny’s- Student Discount
- Spice Bazaar- Student Discount
Retail and Services
- Ann Taylor – 20% off
- Levi’s – 15% off
- Topshop – 10% off
- Alex and Ani – 10% off
- Steve Madden – 10% off
- Madewell – 15% off
- JoAnn’s – 10% off on top of any coupons you find online
- Victoria’s Secret/Pink – 10% off
- J Crew and J Crew Factory – 15% off
- Eddie Bauer – varies by store
- Eastern Mountain Sports – 20% off
- Charlotte Russe – 10% off
- Tom’s – free shipping
- Banana Republic – 15% off
- Jiffy Lube – 10% off
- FedEx – save 30% on documents and 20% on shipping services
- Goodwill – 10% off
- J. Crew – 15% off
- Dell, Apple, Lenovo – all offer student deals on select products. Ask about these before purchasing!
- Apple now offers a $100 gift card with the purchase of a new laptop, on top of $300 off the purchase of that laptop.
- Student Universe – Flight search and booking
- STA Travel – Flight search and booking
- Greyhound – 20% off
- Museums and activities – While studying abroad, I found many museums allow students in for free or offer huge student discounts. Do your research before you go!
Student Credit Cards – Look into which credit card companies have the best cashback and rewards for your spending habits. Discover has a rewards system for students that collects cashback on purchases, which can add up fast paying for textbooks! If you don’t spend your points until after a full year, they double!
Lastly, be sure to take advantage of all that RIT has to offer. Now is the time to establish healthy habits with free wellness courses and our state-of-the-art fitness center staffed by extremely helpful students. You will be living steps away from a pool, 25 people hot tub, racquetball courts, squash courts, a boxing room, rock climbing wall, and a sauna…USE IT! Don’t forget about all the guest speakers, concerts, and College Activities Board organized activities and trips in the area! So many ways to enjoy yourself while saving money!