Co-op employment is a mandatory component of many RIT degree programs. It is essential that on-campus co-op employment meet the criteria of program validity inherent in the Institute's commitment to quality experiential learning.
It is RIT policy and practice that all on-campus co-op students be hired according to the following procedure:
On-campus co-op positions are listed with the Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education.
- Students seeking on-campus co-op respond directly to the departments listing the positions.
- Students must be registered for co-op through SIS.
- Once an offer of employment has been made:
- New student workers must be given a 'Student Employment Verification Slip' to bring to the SEO in order to complete the employment verification process and employers must provide the student with the website information to complete Section 1 of the government mandated I-9 Form -(http://www.newi9.com). The Employer Number is 15083. The student must also complete Section 2 of the I-9 Form in the Student Employment Office as indicated in Section 7, “I-9 Process and Employment Eligibility Card”.
- Returning student workers (students who have previously worked on-campus) must present their current Employment Eligibility Card, verified for the semester the student is to work.
- RIT Student Hire Forms are to be completed and returned to SEO for processing after co-op students present their current Employment Eligibility Card.
Employers may use their own discretion when assigning co-op wages. For assistance, employers may contact the Co-op Office at 475-2301 to request a copy of their most recent Co-op Wage Survey.
Unlike regular student employees, on-campus co-op students are also eligible for holiday pay for all Institute holidays falling within a given co-op employment semester. They are also eligible for sick pay on the ratio of two days per fall and spring semester and one sick day for summer co-op employment for a total of five sick days for the academic year. Sick day benefits are cumulative to a maximum of five (5) paid sick days per year. On-campus co-op employees are exempt from FICA withholding as long as they are registered for co-op and physically working on the RIT campus.