Before getting a job on campus, there are a few steps that you must take in order to obtain a position.
- Ensure that you are currently registered for full-time status. You cannot be a student worker if you are not currently a student. For any additional restrictions, see the section on Registration Requirements.
- Find a position with a place on campus. For more information on how to do this, see the section below on Finding an on Campus Employer.
- Once you have received an offer from an employer, come to the Student Employment Office to obtain your Employment Eligibility Card. Be sure to read the section on SEO Employement Eligibility Card Requirements before coming to the office.
- You need to be registered for classes before you can apply for the SEO Employment Eligibility Card - you can't be a student worker if you are not a student!
- Make sure you are registered for full-time status - If you don't know if you are registered, contact the Registrar's at 475-2821 or your academic advisor or staff person from the department you are majoring in.
- Undergraduate Students: 12 or more credits
- Graduate Students: 9 or more credits
Finding an on Campus Employer
There are many ways you can get a job:
- Job Postings
Refer to On-Campus Job Postings or Off-Campus Job Postings on our SEO Website - we update them daily. Fall quarter positions are normally posted around mid-August. Follow the instructions for each posting as to how to apply.
Ask around in the department you are majoring in such as your academic advisor, professors, departmental staff - not all departments post with SEO.
Several departments have openings fairly often such as Food Service, Wallace Library, NTID Notetaking, or Maintenance - go to the department or restaurant/cafeteria and ask for the supervisor. Remember to bring a resume!
SEO Employment Eligibility Card Requirements
If you are a new student worker, please follow the steps as outlined below to complete the new electronic verification process.
To get your SEO Employment Eligibility Card you need to:
- You must first receive an offer of employment from an RIT employer.
- Before, or on your first day of employment, you must log-on to I-9 Express here.
- Use Employer Code 15083.
- Review your information for errors and then check the box for your electronic signature.
- Save the information and take your original required documents to the Student Employment Office to complete Section 2 of the I-9 verification process. This step must be completed immediately after completing Section 1 of the I-9 form, on or before your first day.
- SEO will verify your identity and eligibility to work using the original documents that you bring with you.
- Once SEO has completed Section 2, the I-9 process will be complete!