Get ready for the End of the Year!
The end of the academic year is quickly approaching and things are only going to get busier for you as the semester progresses. Your housing contract ends on Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 10:00 am unless you are graduating. If you are graduating, your contract ends on Sunday, May 21, 2017 at noon. If you applied for summer housing, you may remain in your current assignment until your specific move date. Refer to the Summer Housing Brochure at http://housing.rit.edu. You must plan your departure from RIT based on these dates. Below is a check list to keep you on track for the end of the year.
- Make transportation arrangements that coincide with your move-out date.
- Make arrangements for off-campus storage. Storage is not allowed in RIT housing. You may not leave belongings with a roommate or a friend who may be staying in RIT housing for the summer to use, store, or watch over. All belongings must be taken off campus. Rochester Institute of Technology Center for Residence Life supports using Campus Carriers to streamline the move-out/move-in process. To find out more and to reserve your space for using this moving and summer storage service, visit CampusCarriers.com or call (866) 739-0095.
- Resolve any undocumented damages in your apartment/suite/room. Contact Housing Operations to get an assessment of any damage and to identify who should be charged. Unresolved damages will be billed equally to all students on contract for spring semester. You may submit maintenance requests online at myhousing.rit.edu. Submitting a request does not negate your responsibility if repairs were a result of negligence and/or misconduct.
- Return the cable box to Time Warner, if applicable.
- Return the apartment/suite/room to move-in condition. Remove all trash, food, and unwanted items, vacuum, and wipe down shelves. Forty-foot dumpsters will be available in each complex to dispose of large items.
- Donate any unwanted goods to Goodbye Goodbuy! Give your used goods to the campus thrift market at donation locations in your building and near your dumpsters during finals week.
Room Key Return:
- Return your apartment/suite/room key by completing a key return envelope. Place your apartment/suite/room key in the envelope and return it to Housing Operations in Grace Watson Hall. Keys can be returned 24/7 using the drop box outside of the office door. You must return your keys, even if you are assigned to your current apartment/suite for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Failure to return your key by your scheduled move-out date will result in you being automatically charged $50 a day extended stay rate, and a $100 lock change charge.
- Do not mail back your keys, they will not be processed, and will not result in the reversal of a lock change or charge.
Mailbox Key Return:
- Colony, Perkins, and Racquet Club residents: Place your mailbox key in your key return envelope with your apartment key (see below) and return to Housing Operations in Grace Watson Hall. Keys can be returned 24/7 using the drop box next to the office door.
- Global Village, University Commons, and Greek Free Standing residents: Return your mailbox key to the Global Village Post Office. Keys can be returned 24/7 using the mail key slot next to the service counter.
- Forwarding Address: To submit your forwarding address information, go to rit.edu/fa/hub/forms.html and click on Address Forwarding under Forms
We hope this checklist helps you prepare for the end of the academic year and checking out of RIT housing. Please contact us with any questions and enjoy your summer!