The following information should assist managers in understanding RIT’s position control procedures and prepare materials needed for job evaluations, re-evaluations and various position related changes.
Purpose of Position Control at RIT
To track budget based on timeframe and/or funding source
To track FTE (headcount)
To maintain data used for regulatory reporting (IPEDS, AAP)
- Position Title – generally tied to job duties
- Staff Assistant, Instructional Faculty, Director, Assistant Manager, Department Head
- Maximum number of characters – 40
- Position Number – 6 digit number sequentially assigned by HR
- Position Version – 2 digit number
- Incremented each time a change is made to the Position Title, Funding, Organization or Oracle Job Classification
- Position Funding – 2 character code
- Indicates the primary source of funding
Position Funding Types
For all regular faculty and staff full time and part time positions.
- OO - For permanently budgeted positions
- OE - For positions specified in the endowment agreement
- OF - For positions non-permanently budgeted and expected to continue until the funding source ends
- OG - For positions specified in the grant agreement
- OT - For short term assignments (1-2 years) where the work has a defined duration
- OU - For interim or overlap positions, uses the same title and PC# as corresponding OO position
- OP - Funding directed by the Provost
- IN - For additional headcount used only during the approval process
- IG - For additional grant funded headcount used only during the approval process
Position Change Process
When current position(s) full-time equivalent (FTE) levels and associated budget dollars are changed but do not exceed the current levels.
Additional Headcount Process
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I get a copy of a Job Description for myself or for one of my direct reports?
Position Job Descriptions are available through Supervisor Self-Service. All supervisors have access to Oracle Supervisor Self-Service automatically. If you are in need of a copy of your own job description, please contact your HR Manager.
How do I extend a Temporarily Funded Position End date?
If you currently have an OPEN position with funding type of 0G, 0E, 0T, 0U and you would like to request an extension of the funding for the position for another year, send an email to email@example.com. Include an explanation of where the funding will be coming from and obtain Budget Office approval prior to sending your request.
To request an extension for a FILLED position, please complete an Assignment, Job or Salary Change Employee Action Form.
How do I eliminate an OPEN Position?
If you no longer have funding for a position, you can request that the vacant position be eliminated. History related to holders of the position will be maintained in Oracle, but the position will no longer appear on open position reports. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to make the request.
How do I change a Position Funding Type?
If you would like to change the funding type for an OPEN position, email email@example.com Include an explanation of where the funding will be coming from and obtain Budget Office approval prior to sending your request.
To change the funding type for a FILLED position, please complete an Assignment, Job or Salary Change Employee Action Form.
How do I process a department re-organization or do a mass organization name change?
Use the Re-Organization Form to process organization name changes and re-structuring that impacts large numbers of employees within a college/division. Your HR Manager will review the form and determine whether additional information is needed.
How do I move positions from one college/division to another college/division?
PC’s numbers are assigned to specific organizations and employees should move in and out of those PC numbers. Faculty/Staff do not take their PC number with them when they change jobs. In situations where a major University re-organization initiative is underway, the movement of PC’s between colleges/divisions will be evaluated on an individual basis. Contact your HR Manager if you need additional guidance.