You can use Ctrl-F to invoke the find box to search this page. The purpose of this guide is to direct you in how to get started with processing common HR transactions. Please refer to full policy and procedure manuals and websites for more detailed information and guidance.
Position Control Website — for Position-Related Transactions
Requesting Oracle HR System Access for Processing Certain Transactions
Managers, supervisors and other employees can process certain transactions directly in the Oracle HR system. Access to RIT Supervisor Self-Service is automatically assigned to anyone who has regular employees reporting to them. Other access must be requested.
Use the instructions in this link to request access to:
RIT Employee/Adjunct Payment Entry
For processing payments for adjunct faculty, special assignments and overload.
RIT MSS Assignment Cost Change
To process employee costing changes online.
RIT – Career Zone and Requisition and Applicant Manager
This is assigned automatically to anyone with regular employee direct reports. Others who need to process Career Zone requisition must request this access.
Click this link for Other Manager Self-Service access.
Employee Assignment/Job Changes
The following changes should be processed using an Employee Job, Assignment, Salary Change Request EAF.
- Salary Change Only: use when there are no other changes to the employee and only for pre-defined and authorized events or as a result of a consultation with the HRSM.
- Promotions or Transfers where no search was conducted (see additional information below)***
- Sequential promotion within a career ladder
- Promotion resulting from formal succession planning
- Transfer to new position within a business unit. When hiring an employee into a vacant position that has been posted; use the online EAF through CareerZone.
- Change in job title, salary, or wage band due to job re-evaluation (substantial job changes require a job description questionnaire (JDQ) also be submitted)
- Change in work schedule (hours per week or weeks/months per year): This may result in a change to the employee’s FTE, Benefits Category (FT, PT or XPT) or FLSA Classification.
- Supervisor (may also be processed through Oracle Manager Self-Service)
- Grade or FLSA Category (exempt/non-exempt resulting from job re-evaluation)
- Department change due to reorganization: To move a position and the position incumbent (employee) within a business unit. Not to be used when moving a vacant position, please contact your HR Services Manager for more information. (For a full departmental re-organization involving multiple people and positions, use the Re-organization/Organization Name Change Template (Excel))
- Transfer out of or into an Administrative Faculty position: Also, refer to policy E8.0.
- Retirement Transition: Approved Retirement Transition Form must accompany the EAF.
Promotions and Transfers
Check this page for more details on promotions and transfers.
It generally is expected that positions will be posted on RIT’s Career Web Site (either internally, externally or both) to identify applicants for regular staff and faculty positions. The type of posting and extent of the search will be determined after careful consideration of the goals and needs of the University and other related factors, such as availability of an appropriate pool of diverse applicants. For a variety of reasons it may be impractical or even impossible to follow regular search procedures. Some of these reasons are below:
Target of Opportunity
The position requires specific, unique skills related to the position; the likelihood of a search identifying a more qualified candidate is negligible; and an immediate hiring need exists. In all these cases the candidate would be on the short list of top candidates if a full search were conducted, and the individual would be highly sought after by peer institutions.
Short Term Need
The position is of short, fixed duration (no more than one year) and it is imperative that a person be hired immediately.
When an individual is identified in an approved contract or grant.
Pulling Candidate from Prior Diverse Candidate Pool
The department has filled a similar position within the past six months, the applicant pool is diverse and reflects the availability in this job category, and wishes to use the same applicant pool.
When a department finds it necessary to appoint an individual in an interim or acting capacity for a temporary period, generally not to exceed one year.
When a promotion or transfer is processed without a corresponding search and requisition in Career Zone, additional approvals and supporting documentation related to why no search was conducted is required. Supporting documentation (such as emails or other support) must be included with the EAF or included in the body of the email when it is sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Information to include:
Include all information and rationale pertaining to the change. This may be enrollment data, job skill realignment, supervisory changes or redistributions, redistribution of FTE.
Include existing permanent budget and operating budget information as well as any impacts the changes will have to the budget. This would include using other available budget dollars for the change.
Impact on other positions
Include all information about other position numbers impacted by this change. This would include if someone is moving to another position, what is happening to that incumbent, i.e. retirement or if using FTE from another position to supplement a permanent schedule change.
Staff Job Description (JDQ)
The new approved JDQ may be attached to the EAF or otherwise note that the approved JDQ is on file with HR.
Attach notice to employee which details the changes that affect salary or the terms and conditions of employment such as work schedule or benefits classification.
Other Employee Job/Assignment Changes
Building Location Change
Send an email with the employee names and new building locations to the email@example.com.
Leave of Absence
Salary cost account changes/redistribution
- Process using the Salary Redistribution EAF or
- Using the Online Assignment Cost Change process in Oracle Self-service: Online Assignment Cost Change Instructions
Termination from RIT
Initiate termination of employment from RIT for staff, faculty, temp (non-agency) or adjunct (do not use for interdepartmental transfer):
Other Pay Related Transactions
Initiate Special Assignment, Overload or Adjunct Pay Action for RIT Faculty
Manager Self-Service Online Special Assignment Entry Instructions
Initiate Special Assignment Pay Action for Exempt Staff Employees
Manager Self-Service Online Special Assignment Entry Instructions
Hire Related Transactions
Regular Faculty/Staff Hire Resulting from a Requisition, Search/Recruitment effort
Filling a New Incremental Position (New FTE)