This policy applies to all employees, students, and visitors to the university.
Public Safety is responsible for coordinating all actions in an emergency. For additional information, refer to their website on preparedness.
Public Safety should be contacted in the case of any emergency, including:
- Medical/Life Threatening event (e.g., heart attack, stroke, seizure, threatened suicide, etc.)
- Environmental Disaster/Hazard (e.g., fire, smoke, odor of gas, explosion, major water leaks, chemical spills, etc.), or
- Danger to the Community (e.g., crime in progress, bomb threat received, person in possession of a weapon, etc.)
Individuals should contact Public Safety by:
- Calling (585) 475-3333 (V/TTY) via phones
- Texting (585) 205-8333 from cell phones
- Using the TigerSafe app on your mobile phone - to learn more, go to rit.edu/tigersafe
- Using Instant Message: RITPUBLICSAFETY on AIM
- Using one of the blue-light courtesy phones outside
The caller should provide the following information:
- Your name
- Nature of the emergency
- The location of the emergency
- Your location
The dispatcher answering the call will provide directions about the additional steps to be taken. In case of fire, activate the nearest fire alarm box. Public Safety will automatically be notified. The building must be evacuated immediately. To evacuate a building, use only emergency stair towers; elevators must not be used. Employees are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the exits. Disabled individuals who are unable to evacuate the building without assistance should proceed to the nearest stairwell and wait for assistance from Public Safety.
Edited December 2013