Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Undergraduate FAQs


When is the Computing Security Student Services office open?

The Computing Security Student Services office is open M-F from 8:30am-4:30pm. This includes during the summer.

How do I make an appointment?

The Computing Security Office, located at Golisano Hall, room 2120, is open Monday-Friday, from 8:30 AM-4:30 PM. If you need to schedule an appointment with your advisor (for any reason), the most efficient way to do so is to contact the office at 585-475-2963, coming to the office in person, or logging into StarFish and scheduling an appointment. Our advisors have very full schedules and emails sent directly to them asking "when can you meet?" cannot be answered in a timely manner and will result in delays. In an effort to avoid these delays you can only make appointments through our front office staff.

Please note that appointments will not be made for the same day.


How do I apply for a minor from another department?

In order to add a minor you must pick up a "Minor Authorization Form" and get signature of approval from the minor advisor and your home department head. The Minor Authorization Forms are available on the Registrar's website.

The available Liberal Arts minors, the minor advisor, and the advisor's email address can be found at: You can go to the following website for a complete list of minors offered at RIT:

It is strongly recommended that you meet with your academic advisor to discuss how a minor will fit into your academic program.

What is a General Education (Gen Ed) course?

Typically these courses are considered to be Math, Science or Liberal Arts courses. While you are safe to take most of these for Gen Ed credit, please note that there have been additions to the Gen Ed courses offered on campus. If you are unsure if a course will fulfill the Gen Ed requirements, please email your advisor, or check the course description in SIS.

What is a Free Elective?

A Free Elective can come from any department on campus. They can include business courses, other technical courses, art courses, etc. Feel free to email your academic advisor if you are unsure if a course will fulfill that requirement.

What is required to get on Dean’s List each Semester?

To be placed on the Dean's List for the semester you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Your term GPA must be a 3.4 or higher
  • You must have registered for and completed at least 12 credits for the semester
  • You may not have any grades of Incomplete, D, E, or F
  • You may not be on probation due to a low cumulative GPA in your principal field of study

Please see D. Dean’s List for further information:

I retook a course that I failed and got an A. Will the F be erased from my transcript?

No. The grades you earn will remain on your transcript forever. Instead it will show that you took the course twice, the old grade and the new grade. Your GPA will be positively affected by the new grade.

I was sent an Academic Alert email; what does this mean?

An Academic Alert email is sent from your instructor when your instructor deems that you are doing poorly in a course. This email is a warning to you that you may be getting into academic trouble if you do not address the situation soon. Please keep in mind that you can always talk to your instructor about what you can do to improve in the course and you can always talk to your advisor about resources on campus that can help you.

I was informed I was placed on probation; what does that mean?

A student is put on probation when their cumulative GPA or term GPA, drops below a 2.0. If a student remains on probation for an additional 2 consecutive terms, or if they are placed on probation for the second consecutive term after having been on probation some other time in the past, they will be considered for suspension from RIT. If you are placed on probation, schedule an appointment to see your academic advisor immediately.

Please see E. Academic Probation and Suspension Policy for further information:

I was told I was suspended from RIT; what do I do now?

If you are suspended from RIT, you may not return to the University for one year. After one year you must reapply through the Office of Admissions for re-admission to the program, if you so desire. You can contact the CSEC Student Services Office at (585) 475-2963 to schedule an appointment with the Undergraduate Program Director to further discuss your suspension and/or formally appeal the decision.

Change of Program In/Out

I want to change my major out of Computing Security; what do I do?

Your first step is to meet with an advisor or a representative from the program you’d like to enter. If you decide to change your major after you discuss their program, you will then set up a meeting with your advisor within Computing Security department to complete a Change of Program form. Your advisor will get the chair’s signature on the form and then send the form and your academic file to the prospective new department for review.

I want to change my major into Computing Security; what do I do?

Your first step is to set up a meeting with the academic advisor. In this meeting you will see how your current coursework will fit into our program. We will then ask you to fill out a Change of Program form with your current department advisor, as well as submit a statement of purpose which will discuss your interest in our programs. If these two documents are submitted during the first week of the semester, you will be informed of our decision in Week 2. If the forms are submitted after the end of Week 1, a decision will be made at the end of the semester once grades are submitted. You will not be able to add Computing Security courses until restrictions on our courses are dropped.

Liberal Arts

What courses do I need to take to satisfy the liberal arts core requirements?

To satisfy the liberal arts requirements you must take the following:

  1. Foundation Courses: Foundation Elective & First Year Writing
  2. Perspectives: Ethical, Artistic, Global, Social, Natural Science, Scientific Principles, and two Mathematical courses. (The two math and two science perspectives are specified by the Computing Security department).
  3. Three Immersion courses (one must be writing-intensive)

For a more in-depth description of each of these requirements, please refer to the liberal art’s General Education Guide Book:

How do I apply for a liberal arts immersion?

To declare or change your immersion, log in to your Student Center and click on the "My Academics" link on the left side navigation bar. Once you enter that menu, select the link that says "Declare/Change Immersion" and follow the instructions provided.


If you do not see your question below, please go to Answers too many of the most common questions are available there.

What is my Shopping Cart, and why do I need to use it?

The shopping cart is used to help students manage their selection of courses for the next term. Keep in mind that you are not enrolled in courses simply because they are in the shopping cart, nor are you guaranteed a seat in the class because of it.

The term Shopping Cart appointment signifies the point in time the enrollment shopping cart becomes available to you. Shopping carts become available to all students at the same time and are available for planning purposes, regardless of whether or not the student record has a hold on it.

Using the enrollment shopping cart is not optional. All students will need to use the shopping cart to pre-plan their enrollment transactions. We encourage you to be proactive and begin the planning phase early so we can assist you in understanding your course and class options for a given term.

Once you have placed courses in your shopping cart, you have the ability to validate your course selections. By validating course selections, you will be alerted to potential issues that may arise during your enrollment appointment. If you have a hold that will prevent enrollment, the validation process will tell them. You will be unable to register for courses with time conflicts and also unable to enroll in multiple sections of the same course. The validation process will bring this information to your attention.

Can you indicate that you'd like to audit classes while enrolling?

Typically you can only indicate that you'd like to audit wellness classes while enrolling, although departments may choose to allow this option for certain classes. Audits for non-wellness classes will need to be approved by the instructor using the Add/Drop Audit form that is available on the Office of the Registrar's website. Audits cannot be officially processed until the first week of the academic term.

A course I want/need is full; what do I do?

The first thing you will want to do is get on the waiting list; this can be done before you enroll in courses by clicking the “OK to Wait List” box before proceeding to the final step. From there, you will want to look at other courses as a replacement, in case the course doesn’t end up working out.

Note: we cannot push students into courses from other departments; for example, we cannot get a student into a Communications course by pushing them into a closed course. You will have to contact the department that owns the course directly.

Your other option would be to use the Swap function to get into your second choice course, which will then be dropped if your first choice becomes available.

How do I set up a Swap?

  1. Once in the Student Center, click the Enroll link on the left beneath Academics.
  2. Click the Swap subtab under the Enroll tab.
  3. Under Swap This Class, select the class from your current schedule you no longer want to take.
  4. Under With This Class you can do one of three things:
    1. select a class that’s in your shopping cart
    2. search for a class to add to your shopping cart;
    3. enter the 5-digit class ID if you know it. Note: Class IDs are unique to the class section and change each term.
  5. Click the Select button to the right of the new class to continue the swap.
  6. This brings you to the confirmation page where you can click either Finish Swapping to confirm or Cancel if you no longer want to swap.
  7. After you click Finish Swapping, you may receive a message confirming whether class was replaced successfully. However, if the class has a Wait List, the message will indicate your position in the Wait List line. If the class is closed or you don’t have the prerequisites, the message will indicate that you cannot make the swap.
  8. If the swap was made, your updated schedule will be displayed when you click My Class Schedule. If you set up a swap to a class with a Wait List, it will show you are still enrolled in the original class and on the Wait List for the new class.

How do I drop a class?

If you decide not to take one of the classes you’ve enrolled in, you can use the Drop function. After the add/drop period, you may use this function but it will be considered a “drop with penalty.” After dropping the class, you will receive a message saying the class was dropped and you’ve received a “W” penalty grade.

  1. In the Student Center, click the Enroll link on the left beneath Academics.
  2. Click the Drop subtab under the Enroll tab.
  3. Select the term and click Continue.
  4. You can now select the class you’d like to drop by checking the box next to it.
  5. Click the Drop Selected Classes button.
  6. On the confirmation page, click Finish Dropping to drop the class. If you’ve changed your mind, click Previous or Cancel.
  7. If the class has been dropped, you will receive a message saying “this class has been removed from your schedule.

How do I withdraw from a class?

To withdraw from a class, you use the Drop function. After the Add/Drop period ends, it will be considered a “drop with penalty.” After dropping the class, you will receive a message saying the class was dropped and you’ve received a “W” penalty grade that appears on your transcript.

  1. In the Student Center, click the Enroll link on the left beneath Academics. Description:
  2. Click the Drop subtab under the Enroll tab. Description:
  3. Select the term and click Continue.
  4. You can now select the class you’d like to withdraw from by checking the box next to it.
  5. Click the Description:
  6. On the confirmation page, click Description: drop the class. If you’ve changed your mind, click Previous or Cancel.
  7. If the class has been dropped, you will receive a message saying "This class has been dropped and a penalty grade has been assigned. You have been given a grade of W for this class.”

What is the difference between “dropping” and “withdrawing” from a class?

The Drop/Add period is the week of a semester (including weekends) beginning on the first day of classes. A student can drop classes on-line via the Student Information System, at his or her department, or at the Registrar's Office. When a student drops a class during this time frame there is no record kept that will show on an official transcript.

Once the first week of the semester has passed, and through the end of the 12th week of the semester, if a student wishes to remove him or herself from a class, the student may withdraw via the Student Information System. A grade of "W" is assigned to that course, and the withdrawal becomes part of the student's permanent record. In processing the request, the student, the student's instructor, the student's advisor and the student's home program or department head will be notified via email. Students are strongly advised to consult with their advisor and instructor before they withdraw from a course.


How do I find a co-op?

The Office of Co-operative Education and Career Services (Co-op Office) is a great place to start. There are program coordinators assigned to each major, and they help students utilize JobZone, help with resume and cover letter writing, conduct mock interviews, and create connections with employers across the country. The program coordinators are as follows:

Michelle Magee (

I got a co-op; how do I register it on SIS?

You don’t- we do. But before we can do that, you will need to report the co-op using the online form on the co-op website. Once you fill out the form, the Co-op Office will evaluate the position for co-op worthiness, contact the employer, and then send permission for our office to register the co-op. From there, our office will check to make sure you are co-op eligible, and then enroll you into the co-op on SIS.

I worked at a company before I was eligible to go on co-op; can I get co-op credit for this?

Possibly. You will have to complete a “Co-op Waiver Form”, which will also require you to get a letter from your former supervisor that will confirm your satisfactory employment. From there, our office will evaluate the request. If the co-op was of a high enough technical level, related to your major, and was at least 420 hours of full-time work, it may be approved.

Can I end on a co-op instead of ending on classes?

No, you must have both of your co-ops completed before enrolling in your final set of courses. The final capstone course CSEC 490 has the pre-req of both co-ops. To end on a co-op, they must get approval from the Undergraduate Program Directive.


Transfer Courses

I am thinking of taking a course at another college back home, how do I know if it will transfer back to RIT, and count towards my degree?

Please refer to our page about AP and Transfer credits:

I have courses I need to transfer from another college, what do I need to do?

If you have courses that have not been transferred to RIT from another college you will need to have an official transcript from each school sent to the Office of the Registrar. All transcripts must be mailed; the Office of the Registrar does not accept hand-delivered transcripts.

Rochester Institute of Technology
Office of the Registrar
Attn: Records Department
George Eastman Building
27 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, N.Y. 14623-5603

I want to take a course at another college that I failed here. Will it help my GPA?

No. Only courses taken at RIT will affect your GPA. If you want to remove the F from your GPA, you will have to retake the course at RIT. The most recent grade will be the one that is reflected on your GPA. This means if you passed a course, then retook the course and failed it, you will lose the credits for the course.


I am almost done with my degree, what do I need to do to graduate?

Every student near graduation is required to schedule an appointment with their academic advisor to complete a graduation audit. In this appointment, you will complete your application for graduation, and discuss the remaining courses you have to complete your degree. Ideally this meeting will occur a year prior to you graduating, approximately two semesters before your complete your degree.

What is required to graduate with honors?

Graduating with honors can mean different things depending on what type of honors you are referring to. Most students mean honors in terms of cumulative GPA at the time of graduation. Honors designations are broken down into three levels:

  • Cum laude: 3.4-3.59 GPA
  • Magna cum laude: 3.6-3.79 GPA
  • Summa cum laude: 3.8-4.0 GPA

Graduating with honors can also mean completing the RIT Honors Program. For more information on the honors program at RIT you can go to