The School of Interactive Games and Media is sponsoring students to attend the Game Developer’s Conference in
San Francisco March 20 - March 23, 2018!
SIGM is looking to bring a team of students with diverse skills to represent us at GDC this year! You will be given the opportunity to take part in discussions, network with professionals, and see many aspects of the industry first hand. If you expect to graduate by the spring of 2019 and have not gone on an SIGM sponsored GDC trip, you may apply. You must also be a full time undergraduate or BS/MS SIGM student this spring semester.
SIGM will provide the following:
- Flight from Rochester to San Francisco on 3/20
- Transportation from airport to hotel on 3/20
- Hotel (3 nights)
- Expo Pass (may upgrade at own expense)
- Transportation to airport from hotel on 3/23
- Return flight from San Francisco to Rochester on 3/23
Students will leave March 20, 2018 to fly to San Francisco and will return on the evening of March 23, 2018 to Rochester. Students will stay at the hotel for three nights. All students who apply and are selected must fly with the group from Rochester and return to Rochester, with no exceptions. (Arrival and departure times are subject to change based on available flights)
- You will be responsible for all food.
- If SIGM has sponsored your trip to GDC in the past, you may not apply.
- If you currently have secured a job which starts upon graduation or will be on co-op, please do not apply.
- The video aspect of the application process is very important. It will be one of the main determining factors in whether or not you are selected for an interview.
- The video cannot be longer than 2 min. The video should contain an introduction as well as demonstration of a piece of work in which you had a significant role. of a piece of work that you had a significant role on. Make sure give an explanation of what your role was (game, engine, app, assets, etc.).
- All applications are due back by November 20th at 11:00 am (strictly enforced).
- If your application is selected you will be required to give an interview to a panel of faculty and staff on Friday, December 8th. You will be contacted by December 1st with more information if you have been selected.
As an attendee, you will:
- Attend a training session prior to going to GDC.
- Attend a playtesting session on March 21st in San Francisco
- Write a blog piece about your experiences for the SIGM website.
- Be required to wear an IGM shirt that is visible while on the Expo floor. The shirt will be supplied and this is not optional.
- Be missing 4 days of class, it is your responsibility to work with your professors in regards to missed work.
- At least 3rd year status and have not gone on an IGM sponsored GDC trip.
- You must be a full time student this spring semester.
- 3.4 Cumulative GPA
- 2 min. maximum length video (strictly enforced): Assemble a video demo of a project you worked on (game, engine, app, assets, etc.). Include a personal introduction, then demo the project and explain your role on it.